We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Christmas Akaslompolo, Lapland

Townsville...
Level Contributor
24 posts
Save Topic
Christmas Akaslompolo, Lapland

Hi All,

My wife and I are bringing our kids (4&8)to Scandinavia for there first white Christmas ( actually first time to see snow) and we have booked some accommodation in Akaslompolo from 22.12.14. We have been looking at train vs flights or both from Oslo. Trying to keep travel costs as low as possible to allow the kids to do more activities. Any help would be greatly appreciated. I'm finding the Vr site a little hard to navigate. Also should we pre-book activities or do it once there?

Thankyou in aadvance.

Fellow Travelers

Trondheim, Norway
Destination Expert
for Trondheim
Level Contributor
4,652 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Christmas Akaslompolo, Lapland

Akaslompolo is in Finland so maybe ask on that forum.

The only direct connection from Oslo to Finland are flights to Helsinki (SAS, Norwegian and Finnair). Some further information here: http://www.yllas.fi/en/getting-yll%C3%A4s

If arriving in Norway from Australia, why not find a place in Norway to stay - it would be much easier than travelling to the Finnish outback.

Edited: 07 March 2014, 21:19
Townsville...
Level Contributor
24 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Christmas Akaslompolo, Lapland

Thanks Whiskey Traveller,

We fly into Paris and spend 2 weeks in Europe then fly to Oslo for a week. I just wasn't sure if you can get night trains up to Lulea or further, then across to Finland or whether via Helsinki was the best option. We've already booked the hotel in Akaslompolo.Any help is always appreciated.

Cheers

Townsville...
Level Contributor
24 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Christmas Akaslompolo, Lapland

Thanks Whiskey Traveller,

We fly into Paris and spend 2 weeks in Europe then fly to Oslo for a week. I just wasn't sure if you can get night trains up to Lulea or further, then across to Finland or whether via Helsinki was the best option. We've already booked the hotel in Akaslompolo.Any help is always appreciated.

Cheers

Harstad, Norway
Destination Expert
for Bergen, Norway
Level Contributor
27,373 posts
38 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Christmas Akaslompolo, Lapland

I assume via Helsinki would be the best option for getting to a destination in Finland. Cross border connections to remote places are not very likely to find. But please also ask on the Finnish forum, they will know their way around the Finnish public transport system and they have the advantage of knowing the language.

Townsville...
Level Contributor
24 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Christmas Akaslompolo, Lapland

Thanks Klymaflytking,

Have posted it in Finland as well. Any suggestions fir our week in Oslo would also be appreciated.

Cheers

Townsville...
Level Contributor
24 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Christmas Akaslompolo, Lapland

Thanks Klymaflytking,

Have posted it in Finland as well. Any suggestions fir our week in Oslo would also be appreciated.

Cheers

Harstad, Norway
Destination Expert
for Bergen, Norway
Level Contributor
27,373 posts
38 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Christmas Akaslompolo, Lapland

I suggest you start with the official tourism web-site, but note there is no guarantee there is snow in December

http://www.visitoslo.com/en/your-oslo/winter/

Harstad, Norway
Destination Expert
for Bergen, Norway
Level Contributor
27,373 posts
38 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Christmas Akaslompolo, Lapland

It seems you closest railway station to your Finnish destination is Kolari. Getting there by train takes 14 hours minimum from Helsinki. I suggest you ask your accomodation about further transport from the Kolari station to Äkäslompolo.

Getting from Oslo to Helsinki you can take train to Stockholm, the quickest connection takes 6 hours. From Stockholm there are overnight ferries to Helsinki and Turku. With good connections you may be able to make your journey in a couple of days.

Note that there may be better connections, perhaps also ask on the Swedish forum about cross border connections to Finland.

Edited: 08 March 2014, 07:09
Townsville...
Level Contributor
24 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: Christmas Akaslompolo, Lapland

Thank you. All help is appreciated very much.

10. Re: Christmas Akaslompolo, Lapland

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 10 March 2015, 05:17