We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Best Route: Alesund to Geiranger to Lillehammer

Bayville, New Jersey
Level Contributor
19 posts
33 reviews
Save Topic
Best Route: Alesund to Geiranger to Lillehammer

My husband and I are staying overnight in Alesund and want to make an early start and end the day in Lillehammer. We want this drive to be as scenic as possible and to include the Geiranger Trollstiger National Route but not be greater than 9 hours driving.

Can anyone help with route suggestions? I am unsure what the route number is for the Geiranger Trollstiger National route to find it on a map.

Thank you!

Harstad, Norway
Destination Expert
for Bergen, Norway
Level Contributor
26,372 posts
37 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Best Route: Alesund to Geiranger to Lillehammer

Trollstigen is part of route 63. What time of year are we talking about ?

Bayville, New Jersey
Level Contributor
19 posts
33 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Best Route: Alesund to Geiranger to Lillehammer

Thank you...we are traveling this route the first week of June.

Oslo
Level Contributor
14,045 posts
92 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Best Route: Alesund to Geiranger to Lillehammer

Suggested route: Ålesund-Åndalsnes (detour to Trollveggen at E136)-Trollstigen-Valldal-Geiranger-Lillehammer

about 420 km or 7-8 hours driving. Possible to includ Valldal-Geiranger ferry (if operating that early)

or Hellesylt-Geiranger ferry (then route will be Trollstigen-Valldal-Stranda-Hellesylt-Geiranger-Skjåk-Lillehammer)

Harstad, Norway
Destination Expert
for Bergen, Norway
Level Contributor
26,372 posts
37 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Best Route: Alesund to Geiranger to Lillehammer

Getting to Trollstigen you need to go via Åndalsnes for the connection to route 63, continue to Valldal for the Eidsdal-Linge ferry and onwards to Geiranger. Continue on route 63 until intersection 63/15 then continue on 15 until 15/E6 intersection, continue on E6 to Lillehammer. Via Michelin estimated over 9 hours excluding the ferry and I know from experience that there will be a lot of photo stops, so it is not at all realistic to do all the way to Lillehammer in under 9 hours.

http://tinyurl.com/q98e4vx

Edited: 13 March 2014, 19:02
Oslo
Level Contributor
14,045 posts
92 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Best Route: Alesund to Geiranger to Lillehammer

I think Klima is a bit on the pessimistic side, the route is about 480 km (not 420 as I wrote), that should be OK in 8-9 hours. Roads in Geiranger are slow, but on average 1 min per 1 km should be OK.

Harstad, Norway
Destination Expert
for Bergen, Norway
Level Contributor
26,372 posts
37 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Best Route: Alesund to Geiranger to Lillehammer

Maybe, it was a travel planner estimate. Plus the ferry, plus the photo stops and Trollstigen visit. We spent about an hour at Trollstigen two years ago. walking around, taking pictures, need of coffee and the loo. And it would be a shame to skip Dalsnibba on a fine day too. Plus Geiranger was congested with traffic and we simply had to stop at Ørnesvingen for the view.

Edited: 13 March 2014, 19:44
Bayville, New Jersey
Level Contributor
19 posts
33 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Best Route: Alesund to Geiranger to Lillehammer

If I don't go all the way to Lillehammer do you have any suggested overnight locations. I need to be in Oslo, the next day, around mid day.

Harstad, Norway
Destination Expert
for Bergen, Norway
Level Contributor
26,372 posts
37 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Best Route: Alesund to Geiranger to Lillehammer

Lom/Otta/Vinstra. Depends how early you are willing to start in the morning.

https://goo.gl/maps/m0qKP

Oslo
Level Contributor
14,045 posts
92 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Best Route: Alesund to Geiranger to Lillehammer

8-9 hours is a rough estimate for driving only. You should of course add time for photo sessions and other breaks. Note that the Hellesylt-Geiranger ferry will eat another hour.

10. Re: Best Route: Alesund to Geiranger to Lillehammer

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 15 March 2015, 06:17