We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Two week trip to Norway

Darom
Level Contributor
32 posts
Save Topic
Two week trip to Norway

Hello everyone,

My name is Eyal and i wanted to plan a two weeks trip to norway.

As the internet is full of info, it isn't easy to extract the relevant pieces of it and i would love to get some help.

Ill describe the guidelines of this trip:

as i mentioned before, the trip should be around two weeks. me and my trip partner wanted it to consist of 8 to 10 days of trekking and sleeping outdoors or in occasional B&Bs in nearby villages, and the other days will be spent in the big cities to catch a little of the local culture :).

We were thinking that the trip will consist of 3 main distant stops around which we will be trekking,

i.e we start in oslo spend a day or two there, then we take some kind of transportation to a nearby village from which we will be starting a trekking and camping trip for 3 or 4 days and then move on to another city to be our center point around which we will find another trekking and camping trip and then move on to the last city which we will be orbiting and then back to Oslo to catch a flight back.

As we are landing in Oslo and flying back home from Oslo we need to start and end the trip in Oslo.

A big point of interest that i wouldn't want to miss is, ofcourse :), the famous Trolltunga. so it should be blended in there somehow.

A possible itinerary, which ofcourse would be very influenced by your input and opinions, would be:

1. Arriving at Oslo, spending the first day there, then moving to a nearby village to start a camping and trekking trip from (on which i would very much like to get recommendations) and spend the next 3 to 4 days trekking.

2. moving on to Odda and spending the day there, the next day starting a trek to Trolltunga (which i heard takes more than one day ?). if time allows, going back to Odda or even doing another 1 or 2 day trek which is recommended.

3. moving on to Stavanger and spending the day there, then moving to a nearby village to start a camping and trekking trip from (on which i would very much like to get recommendations, again) and spend the next 3 to 4 days trekking.

4. back to Oslo and flight home.

I have no idea if what im suggesting here will be possible and enjoyable. i dont know if the transportation to and from those cities is convenient and wont take the lot of our time, if its too much for too little time and we will find ourselves fighting against the clock, if three cities are too much for that time and if we should cut down to two and make more than one trekking trip around each of them, i dont even know if there are good, scenic, trekking routes around those cities which will make them so attractive. so i would very much like to get your input on it.

By the way, me and my trip partner are 26 and 27 years old and we do not want it to be fancy and expensive. quite the contrary. we want it to be a budget trip, As we both are students, and we would like the experience of enjoying the outdoors and getting by with minimal luxuries.

Every input would be MUCH appreciated.

Thanks in advance, Eyal.

Harstad, Norway
Destination Expert
for Bergen, Norway
Level Contributor
24,562 posts
37 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Two week trip to Norway

For any advise at all we need to know when you plan to go.

Oslo, Norway
Level Contributor
7,332 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Two week trip to Norway

The best and most reliable information about hiking and trekking in Norway are found on the site of the Trekking Association: http://english.turistforeningen.no/ and on this map site with hiking routes and descriptions: http://ut.no/

Please study the descriptions of the different mountain areas on both sites. Hardangervidda would logistically be the easiest area to combine with Trolltunga and Stavanger/Lysefjord.

Your idea of doing circular treks starting from and coming back to the same point is not a good way to plan treks in Norway. It means you will have a lot of backtracking on your treks and also with your transportation. All the best treks start from one point and end at another. You could f.ex. take train from Oslo to Haugastøl, trek 5-6 days across Hardangervidda to Trolltunga and down to Tyssedal. More and better trekking and less transportation.

I understand that you probably don't want to carry all your luggage while trekking, but it is really not a good idea. Try to pack light instead.

Darom
Level Contributor
32 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Two week trip to Norway

Thank you for your reply,

The trip will take place in August.

Darom
Level Contributor
32 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Two week trip to Norway

We will have no problem packing light an finishing the trek in another location. Mainly, our only obligation is to start and end in Oslo.

Aside from that we will be very happy to plan the trip according to recommendations such as yours. So which three treks would you recommend ?

Which cities are found adjacent to them (to plan transportation) or how would you plan it ?

Again, thank you.

Oslo, Norway
Level Contributor
7,332 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Two week trip to Norway

I would recommend reducing the number to 2, but a bit longer.

1) Haugastøl-Hardangervidda-Trolltunga-Skjeggedal-Tyssedal as descibed in above post, 6-7 days. Haugastøl is not a city but a train station in the mountains, you can get a train there from Oslo. End point will be Skjeggedal, until the 17th of August there are buses to Odda.

2) Lysefjorden rundt starting from Stavanger-Pulpit Rock-Bakken Gard-Songesand-Lysebotn-Kjerag and continuing for as long as you want. Tour description here: ut.no/tur/lysefjorden-rundt-14-mil-med-natur… This trek can be ended many places along Lysefjord by taking the ferry back to Lauvvik or Stavanger. A trip report here: http://petehawkins.co.uk/lysefjorden-rundt/

Harstad, Norway
Destination Expert
for Bergen, Norway
Level Contributor
24,562 posts
37 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Two week trip to Norway

The main trekking areas in Norway are in the mountain areas, in the wilderness and not close to any towns and villages. For Hardangervidda as mentioned above, you take the train from Oslo to Haugastøl and start your 5-6 day trek towards Trolltunga, Tyssedal and Odda. From Tyssedal there should be transport to Odda town and from Odda there are buses to Bergen.

Use the interactive map in the link above to make a prelimnary route, then buy the relevant maps from the Norwegian Trekking Association.

The other main hiking area is Jotunheimen and starting points are accessible by bus with connections to/from Bergen and Oslo.

Darom
Level Contributor
32 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Two week trip to Norway

Thank you everyone who answered !

Very helpful !

I was wondering if you could give an estimate of the prices for places to sleep in along those routes (it was mentioned that there are huts along the way ?), An estimate of travelling prices using which ever mode of transportation recommended, and if there are specific outdoor equipment or clothes that we should consider.

Again, Thank you very much !

Harstad, Norway
Destination Expert
for Bergen, Norway
Level Contributor
24,562 posts
37 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Two week trip to Norway

I am sorry, but I think that it would be too much to ask members to spend hours and hours of their spare time organising a holiday down to price of transport and looking up cabins. It is your holiday and I think you need to use your spare time to do the legwork and research. If you cannot do that, you need an agent or a package holiday.

Oslo, Norway
Level Contributor
7,332 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Two week trip to Norway

Places to sleep along the trekking routes range from staffed lodges to self-service and no-service cabins. Most of the staffed lodges and all the self-service and no-service cabins are operated by one of the Trekking Associations. Overview of prices here: …turistforeningen.no/files/DNT-Oslo/PriserEn…

For train prices, make a trial booking at www.nsb.no . Book on-line 3 months in advance for the best price. Bus fares for medium to long distances are around 2-2,50 NOK/km. F.ex. Odda-Stavanger, around 200km, will cost approximately 400-450NOK pp.

For boats and ferries, google the leg you want to travel for time tables and prices.

List of suggested gear for summer trekking: english.turistforeningen.no/article.php… . Good mountain boots are essential. I would also recommend a light-weight spirit burner for out-door cooking: trangia.se/english/2913.trangia_stoves.html

Harstad, Norway
Destination Expert
for Bergen, Norway
Level Contributor
24,562 posts
37 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Two week trip to Norway

An example for a week-long guided tour in June, 7 days excluding transport NOK 1800 for non-members.

www2.turistforeningen.no/activity.php…