We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Advice on Itineary with 4 and 7 year olds in July

2 posts
Save Topic
Advice on Itineary with 4 and 7 year olds in July

It is our first trip to Scandanavia and we are bringing our kids ages 4 and 7. We enjoy scenery and the outdoors. I've started an itineary for a trip in July:

Day 1-3: Copenhagen and surrounding areas

Day 4: Overnight Ferry to Oslo

Day 5: Oslo (Viking Ship Museum, Frogner Park, Opera House)

Day 6: Rent car, stop in Lillehammer at Olympic Site; stay near Lom

Day 7: Lom Stave Church, Neigardsbreen Glacier; stay near Solvorn

Day 8: Ferry from Kaupanger to Gudvangen; stay in Bergen

Day 9: Bergen (fish market, Bryggen historic district; funicular); stay in Flam

Day 10: Flam to Myrdal round-trip train ride; stay near airport in Oslo

Day 11: Fly home to US

A few questions:

1) On day 8, would it be better to take the ferry from Hella to Vangnes (instead of Kaupanger to Gudvangen) and then take the Gudvangen to Flam ferry on day 9? Will we see much different / more by taking both ferries?

2) Is there any advantage / disadvantage of taking this loop from Oslo counter-clockwise (i.e. Lillheammer 1st) vs. clockwise (Flam 1st)?

3) Any "must-see" destinations in Norway we are missing or other recommendations?

Thank you!

Oslo
Level Contributor
13,438 posts
92 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Advice on Itineary with 4 and 7 year olds in July

1) One of the longer ferry rides (Gudvangen-Flåm or Kaupanger-Gudvangen) is recommended, but you don't need to do both.

There will probably be a fee if you drop off car in Bergen (not clear if you plan).

Oslo
Destination Expert
for Norway, Oslo
Level Contributor
11,572 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Advice on Itineary with 4 and 7 year olds in July

Your last day with the Flåm-Myrdal return rail trip then drive to Oslo Lufthavn will be a long day and not particularly child-friendly. In fact a pretty intense holiday for 4 & 7 year old kids given jet lag and lack of sleep on flights too. Did one long driving holiday with kids once - never again (fortunately that's not a problem).

Charmouth, United...
Level Contributor
2,452 posts
1 review
Save Reply
3. Re: Advice on Itineary with 4 and 7 year olds in July

Agree completely with Dyoll about too much travelling with young children. My children at that age weren't interested at all in looking at scenery, but loved being outdoors and exploring their surroundings.

I would fly from Copenhagen to Bergen, rent a car and stay in a cottage for a week in the Sognefjord or Hardangerfjord area. If you prefer hotels then have a few days in each place, plus a night in Bergen. Do some fun family activities like white water rafting at Voss or Eidfjord, or rent a cottage with a boat available. Drop the car at Oslo airport at the end - it will be worth the one way charge.

Edited: 24 March 2014, 10:37
Harstad, Norway
Destination Expert
for Bergen, Norway
Level Contributor
25,149 posts
37 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Advice on Itineary with 4 and 7 year olds in July

Agree with above - you have planned an adult holiday with two young children in tow. Most children do not enjoy being stuck in the back seat of a car and on the narrow, winding Norwegian roads there is a risk of getting carsick. They may enjoy a fjord ferry, not for the scenery but for the opportunity to get out of the car and the possibility to have an ice cream. Children like waterfalls, especially those you can get close to so that you get splashed a bit. The one you can walk behind should also be a hit.

In Bergen children might enjoy the cable car and the funicular, the little sightseeing train, Gamle Bergen open air museum, the aquarium and the natural history museum containing a ginormous whale sceleton. With my daughter we always had to hurry past the fish market because of the smell - other children may react differently.

Oslo tourist office has a whole section on Oslo with kids

www.visitoslo.com/en/your-oslo/children/

The train between Bergen and Oslo should be bearable - they have family compartments. The full Norway in a Nutshell would be too long in one day.

Edited: 24 March 2014, 13:18
2 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Advice on Itineary with 4 and 7 year olds in July

Thanks for the ideas to make the trip more kid friendly. I will look for some ways to cut the drive time in order to spend more time in each area. I definitely think they would enjoy playing in some waterfalls! If any suggestions on good waterfalls or places 4 year olds can participate in kayaking, canoeing or rafting, much appreciated.

We plan to keep the rental car until the end of the trip, which will also give us some flexibility to adjust as we go, if needed.

Harstad, Norway
Destination Expert
for Bergen, Norway
Level Contributor
25,149 posts
37 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Advice on Itineary with 4 and 7 year olds in July

But all four of you do not need to go kayaking or rafting. I think there should be options for the 7 year old.

world-of-waterfalls.com/norway-steinsdalsfos…

Charmouth, United...
Level Contributor
2,452 posts
1 review
Save Reply
7. Re: Advice on Itineary with 4 and 7 year olds in July

Family rafting trips at Eidfjord www.flatearth.no and Voss www.vossrafting.no . Min. age 5 though.

Please be careful near fast moving water with young children. Playing somewhere with easy access to shallow water in streams, lakes or fjords would be much safer and just as interesting for them.

8. Re: Advice on Itineary with 4 and 7 year olds in July

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 27 March 2015, 04:17