We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Norway-July 2014

Nyack, New York
Level Contributor
21 posts
Save Topic
Norway-July 2014

Hi All,

My girlfriend and I are headed to Norway this July. Our itinerary is as follows. Could you please critique it?

NYK to Stavanger

Spend 5 nights with Family in Feda, Norway. Plan on touring the area, visiting family and also doing some day trips up to Stavanger.

Fly from Stavanger to Bergen. Spend 3 nights in Bergen

Fly from Bergen to Alesund. Spend 2 nights in Alesund

Fly from Alesund to Tromso, spend 3 nights in Tromso.

Then fly back to NYK.

I keep reading about Lofoten. What would you recommend we cut from above to be able to see some of Lofoten. What island/area in particular? How long should we spend time there?

Also, from any of the areas mentioned above, would we be able to see Trolltunga via a day trip?

Reason we are flying to each place is that it is cheaper and takes less time. Flights are ~$100 per person, as opposed to a couple hundred dollars for a car rental and a multi-hour car drive (although some of the best sights are probably by car). We do not mind renting a car for the day if need be.

Many thanks!

Stavanger, Norway
Destination Expert
for Western Norway, Stavanger
Level Contributor
6,855 posts
104 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Norway-July 2014

Hi nmb79 and welcome to the Norway forum,

I will take a first stab at your questions and then the others will chime in.

The Loftoten Islands are highly recommended. More info here:

visitnorway.com/us/…

How to get to Lofoten: visitnorway.com/us/…

I would skip Tromsø and Ålesund. Really no need to see all the iconic famous fjord areas. If you go to Stavanger and Bergen you will get your fair share of fjords if you plan on doing something like Norway in a Nutshell round trip(s): www.norwaynutshell.com/en/explore-the-fjords/

Trolltunga is a challenging 8-10 hours hike, so you should consider staying somewhere near the trail (Odda/Skjeggedal). You can get there using a rental car from either Stavanger or Bergen:

hardangerfjord.com/en/…

Also you have posted 2 duplicate posts to this one, you may want to use the 'Report inappropriate content' and 'Remove my post' on the 2 redundant posts.

Edited: 25 March 2014, 17:00
Oslo
Level Contributor
13,460 posts
92 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Norway-July 2014

If you are serious about Trolltunga, perhaps rent a car in Stavanger, drive to Odda, continue to Bergen day after Trolltunga. The you will drive through the Hardanger fjord area.

Perhaps skip Tromsø, fly to Harstad (Evenes airport) instead and rent a car for Lofoten.

Nyack, New York
Level Contributor
21 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Norway-July 2014

Thanks Pippi & Oslo Viking. The only reason why I wanted to go to Tromso was to say "I was in the Arctic Circle". We will just have to return to Norway another time!

I am going to go back to the drawing and come up with a new plan.

Stavanger, Norway
Destination Expert
for Western Norway, Stavanger
Level Contributor
6,855 posts
104 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Norway-July 2014

Lofoten is beyond the Arctic Circle and a great destination in summer.

Oslo
Level Contributor
13,460 posts
92 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Norway-July 2014

Lofoten is something special

lofoteninsomnia.no/sviskesaft/wp-content/upl…

…wikimedia.org/wikipedia/…29.jpg

lofoten.info/sites/…757507730.jpeg

pinlovely.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/10/Aur…

Along with Senja and other coastal landscapes of Nordland/Troms

https:/…_2012_October.jpg

fiskestart.no/wp-content/…senja1.jpg

…blogspot.com/-tYkjinJ9MdY/…IMG_1554.JPG

Nyack, New York
Level Contributor
21 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Norway-July 2014

Thanks. Lofoten looks amazing. Rethinking the itinerary, would you say its best if we did the following:

NYK to Stavanger

Spend 5 nights with Family in Feda, Norway.

Fly from Stavanger to Lofoten. Spend 3 nights

Fly from Lofoten to Bergen. Spend 4 nights.

Then fly back to NYK.

Is Harstad (Evenes airport) the best airport to fly in and out of Lofoten?

7. Re: Norway-July 2014

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 28 March 2015, 06:15