We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Clothing for Aug/Sept

Melaka, Malaysia
Level Contributor
16 posts
6 reviews
Save Topic
Clothing for Aug/Sept

Hi there, I plan to visit Stavanger and the western fjords during the last week of August and Lofoten and Svalbard in the 1st week of Sept. My husband wants to see the aurora, but we also don't want to go too late in the year when it will be all dark and there will be nothing else to see other than the aurora!

1. Is that a good time of year to balance both sunlight to see fjords and wildlife, chance of aurora (I know there's no guarantee but at least not a time when there is 0% chance! :))?

2. I know that others have asked about the weather and have gotten a link to a weather report page, but I live in a tropical country, and here the weather is rain or no rain, and that's it. Same temperature throughout the year, day and night. In my 5 years of living in Wisconsin USA as a college student, I did experience -40C winters, but the online weather hardly showed that, because there is windchill to consider. Could anyone help me understand with windchill, what can I expect in the last week of August in the south and west and lofoten. And the temperature in Svalbard in the first week of September?

My husband has never experienced cold weather and does not have any winter clothing. Since we have to buy everything new for him, it will cost quite a bit, so I want to make sure we are buying proper clothing, but not overbuying/over packing.

Thanks! :)

Mentioned in this post
Wisconsin
Wisconsin
United States
Oslo
Level Contributor
16,006 posts
93 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Clothing for Aug/Sept

Climate is very different in Svalbard compared to the mainland. I think the most precise information is weather statistics

yr.no/place/…statistics.html

In Svalbard you should be prepared for temperatures below zero C, while in Oslo/Bergen usually a pleasent 10-15 C (or 20 C in August). Weather i Stavanger and Bergen is notoriously unpredictable. The windchill effect is not a big deal in summer at 15-20 C. For the mainland ordinary long-sleeves clothing is needed, plus a jacket (windproof/water repellant) and jumper (for cool days).

Mentioned in this post
Oslo
Oslo
Eastern Norway, Norway
Harstad, Norway
Destination Expert
for Bergen, Norway
Level Contributor
30,839 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Clothing for Aug/Sept

Note that Longyearbyen was exceptionally mild last September and this is what now shows for September statistics. As said above, you will be covering several climatic zones and you need to be prepared for most. It is impossible to predict how much wind there will be at one given moment and so very difficult to say anything about windchill. Weatherproof and waterproof with a merino underlayer is normally what we recommend. Hat and gloves and sturdy hiking shoes are essentials for Svalbard - the ground gets very muddy due to the permafrost.

Early September is in general a bit early for the aurora, not yet really dark enough. Conditions are better after the equinox.

Mentioned in this post
Tromso, Norway
Level Contributor
5,760 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Clothing for Aug/Sept

Great show of Aurora last year in end of August and begin of September, so if you stay enough nights you will have a good chance for a ok show you too..;)

Please check my Aurora pictures from August 30th, 2013 on this one - http://tinyurl.com/md9wzy3

Edited: 10 May 2014, 01:14
Oslo
Level Contributor
16,006 posts
93 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Clothing for Aug/Sept

Think twice about going to Svalbard, it is a very special place, you can't do anything on your own, its a long trip from the mainland and because of a very different climate you need special gear.

Mentioned in this post
5. Re: Clothing for Aug/Sept

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12 May 2015, 05:17