We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Islands around entry to Sognefjord

Los Angeles...
Level Contributor
55 posts
20 reviews
Save Topic
Islands around entry to Sognefjord

Hi! We're still trying to figure out our trip to Norway and I know we're cutting it short as its in mid June. We have the bulk of our stay booked in Sogndal. But haven't booked our day we arrive in Bergen yet. (We are having a hard time finding a reasonable hotel. There are 5 of us, and one kid is fine sleeping on the floor, but its hard to find a hotel room with 2 double beds!). And we haven't booked the extra day before our Sogndal time and after. We are trying to decide, do we stay in Flam on our way to Sogndal or stay in the islands around the entry of the Sognefjord first. The other we can fit in the last day before we leave.

I saw the day trip explained by the Eplet's Norway in an Apple Box, but it seems very ambitious for our second day after travels. But just going to Balestrand seems too simple. And we want to get a taste of the islands/coastal Norway. We don't like shopping towns, we want to explore the scenery.

So, any tips on doing the island stuff first, and how to modify it. Or do the scenic railway first? And whenever we do Flam, should we stay a night in that town or a nearby town?

Thanks!

Oslo
Destination Expert
for Norway, Oslo
Level Contributor
13,566 posts
33 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Islands around entry to Sognefjord

Bumping this up as it seems we need more information to give you a reply. Are you hiring a car? What places on the islands are you considering? What is your budget? The Norway in an applebox looks like 4 days of activities, not a day tour. Read suggestions on TA and visitnorway, use googlemaps and TA to find accommodation. Looking for a family room for 5 persons may restrict your choice.

http://www.visitnorway.com/us/

Edited: 18 May 2014, 13:34
Stavanger, Norway
Destination Expert
for Western Norway, Stavanger
Level Contributor
7,117 posts
105 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Islands around entry to Sognefjord

The bed configuration you are looking for is highly unusual in Norway (2 double beds). The normal set up is two single beds or one double bed. Sounds like you need two hotel rooms or look into self catering apartments. Since it less than a month until you arrive the best options may be fully booked.

Harstad, Norway
Destination Expert
for Bergen, Norway
Level Contributor
27,689 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Islands around entry to Sognefjord

Some hotels may have family rooms but mid June may be too early for the special family offers that are on offer by some chains during holiday season. The youth hostels normally have family rooms and maybe also Marken Gjestehus. If this fails, I would suggest two nights in Bergen in a self catering apartment (they often have a minimum stay of 2 or three nights). There are also self catering options in Aurland and Flåm and cottages at Flåm Camping.

Edited: 18 May 2014, 14:58
Los Angeles...
Level Contributor
55 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Islands around entry to Sognefjord

I re-read my question, its very confusing. Haha! I'm going to make a new post about our itinerary and I'd love your feedback if you can read it.

Also, I can't figure out where the link is on TA to find my posts in the forum. I imagine there's a link instead of having to browse the questions for mine!

Tromso, Norway
Level Contributor
5,564 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Islands around entry to Sognefjord

This is the link for this (yours) post - tripadvisor.co.uk/ShowTopic-g190455-i550-k74…

6. Re: Islands around entry to Sognefjord

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 20 May 2015, 05:17