We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Norway in a Nutshell and Geiranger by Car

Langhorne...
Level Contributor
28 posts
53 reviews
Save Topic
Norway in a Nutshell and Geiranger by Car

Hi,

We are planning on visiting Norway in July. We will be arriving in Oslo and have 4 full days. I found Geiranger and Norway in a Nutshell tours, which is doable in 4 days. However, it is a lot of buses, trains, etc. We also have a young child. Can we visit both of those by car to give us more flexibility (The Geirangerfjord, The Nærøyfjord and maybe visit a National Park)? Can somone please help with a driving route/itenirary for those areas, starting from Oslo? Thanks (We also have to return to Oslo because we fly back home from there on day 5.

Oslo
Level Contributor
14,709 posts
92 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Norway in a Nutshell and Geiranger by Car

The "nutshells" are designed for people without car and limited time. With a car you can go anywhere, while these places are certainly nice they are also the most visited. You need 3 days for driving only, but there is not really any need to visit both places (they are rather similar).

Norwegian national parks are not available by car, but I would say the most scenic areas are often not within park boundaries. The Nærøyfjord for instance is a kind of lower-category national park (area of protected landscape).

Sognefjord (including Flåm) is the closest by car from Oslo airport.

Harstad, Norway
Destination Expert
for Bergen, Norway
Level Contributor
27,683 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Norway in a Nutshell and Geiranger by Car

With such limited time you should concentrate on one of the fjord areas closest to Oslo like the Sognefjord or the Hardangerfjord. Going all the way to Geiranger and back you will be stuck in the car most of the time.

Langhorne...
Level Contributor
28 posts
53 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Norway in a Nutshell and Geiranger by Car

Thanks for the info. I am trying to figure out if we should do the "nutshells" or rent a car....the nushells seem to accomplish everything we want to see...I just thought that renting a car may make it more flexible. Which would you suggest if we do want to see both?

Oslo
Level Contributor
14,709 posts
92 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Norway in a Nutshell and Geiranger by Car

Both places? Then a car is the best, but again I would not recommend both places in short time and a child in the back seat. Roads in this area are probably very different from what you are used to at home.

…staticflickr.com/2480/3806986664_c09d184828…

These places are rather similar and along the road you will in fact pass several more fjords, Geirangfjord and Nærøyfjord (at Flåm) happens to be most well-known. The great fjords of Norway are not limited to a specific place, they cover the entire region. Sognefjord area (around Flåm) has everything, you will not be disappointed.

…blogspot.com/_Cb8DrTDyWqY/…P1020949.JPG

gwr.no/wp-content/…DSCF4008.jpg

westcoastpeaks.com/pics05/gilja_22kjelfossen…

…blogspot.com/-MP0ypBbjwQI/…IMG_0528.JPG

https:/…From_the_Stalheim.jpg

5. Re: Norway in a Nutshell and Geiranger by Car

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 22 May 2015, 07:16