We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Things to note when renting Hertz in Norway

Singapore, Singapore
Level Contributor
24 posts
6 reviews
Save Topic
Things to note when renting Hertz in Norway

FYI on a recent bad experience while renting from Hertz in Norway. The below is extracted from an email that I just send to Hertz. I must emphasize that this is my personal opinion and just want to share so that potential Hertz Norway’s customers will know what to expect if they happen to be in same situation in the future (hopefully not!).

On 18-May 520pm, while driving back to Valldal from the Trollstigen road on Norway popular country road 63, the right front tyre burst. We were around 20km+ / 30 mins drive away from Valldal and were in the middle of the road 63 with no houses or signboards nearby. There are no spare tyre or any spray in the car boot that can be used to mend the tyre. Therefore, I immediately call the 1st number (+47221767622) listed on the hertz receipt. I explain to the Hertz staff (who I found out later to be Simon) about the situation and our approximate location. However, he just told me to call the 2nd number (81544999) listed on the hertz receipt instead. I tried calling the 2nd number but nobody pick it up and therefore I call Simon on the 1st number again. Simon claims he will inform the rescue company to contact me. Somebody from rescue Company call me a few mins later and told me that they should be there in less than 1 hour. However after more than 4 hours, we still did not see anybody. I have tried calling Simon a few times to seek help and he claim he will call me back after speaking to the rescue company, which did not happen at all. During this waiting period of more than 4 hours, the rescue company has called me a few times and I have clearly informed them about our location and even provided our GPS coordinates. However, the rescue company still seem clueless about our location and keep asking a few times where we are in Oslo!!!

After more than 4 hours wait in the cold, I manage to get through to the 2nd number (81544999) and have sought a passer-by to help explain to the person on our location in Norwegian. According to the passer-by, he feels that the rescue company doesn’t seem sure on our location and told him that they will dispatch a tow truck which is around 2 hours away. However, the passer-by manages to convince them later that there is actually a nearby tow truck in Valldal itself which is only around 20km+ / 30 mins drive away. The Valldal tow truck mechanic is only informed about our situation at 1030pm and only reaches our location at around 1110pm. This cause us to miss the last ferry from Linge to Eidsdal where we already pay for a hotel stay in Geiranger, and we need to stay at a camping site in Valldal. This extra cabin stay costs 450 NOK and the tyre repair costs 100 NOK. During this 6 hours wait, we are out in the cold with no food.

When I was at the Hertz counter at Gardermoen Airport on 23-May, I manage to speak to Simon on the phone to ask about the refund of the extra costs (total 550 NOK) back to us as we feel that Hertz is responsible for causing the unnecessary 6 hours delay which results in us missing the last ferry. However, Simon just brush us off and claim that Hertz is only responsible for contacting the rescue company and is not responsible if the rescue company cannot find us. In other words, even if Hertz’s customers die in the cold in the mountain while waiting for Hertz’s vendor (rescue company), Hertz is not responsible.

22 replies to this topic
Oslo
Level Contributor
13,460 posts
92 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Things to note when renting Hertz in Norway

Hertz were certainly not helpful, but difficult to tell if they are liable (depends on the small print I guess).

One lesson to learn at least: Ask locals.

Harstad, Norway
Destination Expert
for Bergen, Norway
Level Contributor
25,149 posts
37 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Things to note when renting Hertz in Norway

Seems to be some confusion regarding your location - suspect there must have been a misunderstanding somewhere, Unfortunately this can happen when the support is located in a different part of the country. I would make a formal complaint to Hertz headquarters - obviously some need a lesson in geography.

Singapore, Singapore
Level Contributor
24 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Things to note when renting Hertz in Norway

I have provided specific location details (road 63, 20km from Valldal etc) and even GPS coordinates so it is still quite surprising that Hertz/rescue company are not able to find us after more than 4 hours. I communicate with them in English and it does appeared to me that rescue company's folks may not be well versed in English. However, I believe Hertz (Simon) understood where I am but I don't think he has help communicate this information to rescue company and just "hands off". The passer-by has also jokingly pass comment that Hertz / rescue company are still drunk from the 17-May celebrations. :)

I totally agree with OsloViking. Many passer-bys have stopped by to ask if we needed help. This is indeed a very kind gesture by fantastic folks in a fantastic country! 2 passers-by (1 from Valldal and 1 from Stavanger), Valldal tow truck mechanic and camping site owner has offered us a great deal of help, from waiting with us, speaking with rescue company, arranging lodging, offering food and lodging in the middle of the night etc! Both my wife and I are greatly thankful to these kind folks! This incident is indeed the only bad experience we have of this great country!

Oslo
Destination Expert
for Norway, Oslo
Level Contributor
11,599 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Things to note when renting Hertz in Norway

Your travel insurance should cover you for delays, if this is so then give up on Hertz and claim through your insurance. If Hertz are legally liable then the insurance company will persue a claim - though you won't be informed.

Charmouth, United...
Level Contributor
2,452 posts
1 review
Save Reply
5. Re: Things to note when renting Hertz in Norway

This is very poor customer service from Hertz. I would not be at all surprised if the 'May 17th effect' and the incident being late on a Sunday afternoon was a significant factor but it's totally unacceptable for Hertz just to blame the breakdown service even if it was largely their fault.

I would make a formal complaint to Hertz head office as well as in Norway and insist they refund both your hotel costs in Geiranger and additional costs in Valldal.

Singapore, Singapore
Level Contributor
24 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Things to note when renting Hertz in Norway

I just checked the travel insurance and apparently the policy doesn't cover such incidents. The most I can try is for the 100 NOK tyre repair. Nevertheless I will still send in the claim and see how it goes.

Prior to posting in TA, I have already send the email to Hertz but so far no reply after 24 hours. Frankly speaking, when I first go to the Hertz counter at the airport, I was already feel that I won't be able to obtain the refund and was just expecting some sort of apology and proper explanation for the inconvenience and additional costs to us. But the explanation provided by Hertz just totally pissed us off and show us how irresponsible Hertz are.

Singapore, Singapore
Level Contributor
24 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Things to note when renting Hertz in Norway

Just to update all that there no replies from Hertz after 2 weeks. I guess that how Hertz service works. Will be the last time I ever use or recommend Hertz again.

8. Re: Things to note when renting Hertz in Norway

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post was determined to be inappropriate by the TripAdvisor community and has been removed.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

Our staff may also remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason. Thanks for being a part of the TripAdvisor travel community!

Removed on: 09 June 2015, 10:35

Salisbury, United...
Level Contributor
7,786 posts
136 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Things to note when renting Hertz in Norway

What was the problem? Without knowing that your post is a little meaningless. You may have had a genuine problem or you were not happy with the answer given.

Too many come on TA and complain but have no grounds to their complaint. This might not be in your case so you need to give some background.

Please tell us.

Oslo
Destination Expert
for Norway, Oslo
Level Contributor
11,599 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Things to note when renting Hertz in Norway

Unfortunately complaints from people with an axe to grind seem to be weighted highly by people reading the forum. Surprising that so many one-time posters have only one complaint and never bother to tell us about the great things that happened on their holiday. And the thousands who are satisfied never bother to mention the good service that is the general rule.

These complaints have their place in the reviews section of TA where they are balanced by the satisfied entries, not in the forum.

Time for the regulars to get these threads closed down?

Edited: 08 June 2015, 19:19
Reply to: Things to note when renting Hertz in Norway
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted