We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Iternary Suggestions for 7 days in norway

Level Contributor
21 posts
Save Topic
Iternary Suggestions for 7 days in norway

I will be reaching Bergen by flight from Edinburgh on Aug1st 2014 at 10am and leaving Oslo by train to Stockholm on Aug 7th at 3:30pm. I have booked accommodation for 2 nights in Bergen,2 nights in Flam, 2 nights in Oslo.

Here is my plan

1) I am thinking of spending 1 day in Bergen city tour and 1 day round trip to either hardangerfjord-in-a-nutshell or glacier-hiking-on-folgefonna. I am more inclined to glacier-hiking-on-folgefonna as i am doing NiN DIY from Bergen on Aug 3rd to Flam, Which is better option?

2) I will be reaching Flam on Aug3rd 14:10, any suggestions for 1 day round trip on Aug 4th from Flam?

I will leave Flam on Aug 5th to Oslo, I am in a dilemma to choose the train from Myrdal to Oslo considering the day light.

I have 3 options to choose from Flam to Oslo train

from Flam to Myrdal 8:35am(Opt 1),12:20(Opt 2),16:05(Opt 3)

from Myrdal to Oslo 9:52am(Opt 1),13:58(Opt 2),17:57(Opt 3)

Depending on the option i will buy Minipris ticket from Myrdal to Oslo. Any ideas are greatly appreciated.

Stavanger, Norway
Destination Expert
for Western Norway, Stavanger
Level Contributor
6,630 posts
104 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Iternary Suggestions for 7 days in norway

1. Both options are great, so follow your gut feeling. However, the glacier hike would in my mind be more weather dependant than the HiN.

2. Check out your options here. Pay attention to the Other Activities section as well. http://www.visitflam.com/what-to-do/

3. Sunset times in Oslo for August: http://tinyurl.com/ka7zp9p

Harstad, Norway
Destination Expert
for Bergen, Norway
Level Contributor
24,027 posts
37 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Iternary Suggestions for 7 days in norway

The last part of the train journey into Oslo is rather uninteresting, so an afternoon train from Myrdal will be fine.

Level Contributor
21 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Iternary Suggestions for 7 days in norway

Thanks Pippi2, i have few more doubts

Do i need to book the Glacier trip well in advance? Or can i book day before? And can i DIY for HiN trip?

Thanks Klima, i will consider Option 2, Flam to Myrdal at 12:20 pm, Myrdal to Oslo at 13:58. Any suggestion on Glacier round trip from Bergen?

minneapolis
6 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Iternary Suggestions for 7 days in norway

if you might need a lovely place to re-gather your strengths, I suggest a trip to Balestrand ... we stayed at the old wooden hotel (Kvikne) many years ago, and would LOVE to go back, even just to the town to sniff the Sognefjord air.

Level Contributor
21 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Iternary Suggestions for 7 days in norway

Now i am thinking of leaving Flam at 8:35am and catching 9:52am train to Oslo, so that i can spend half day in Oslo. If i book a ticket in nsb website from Flam - Oslo, can i board the train in Flam even if there are no seats available?

Level Contributor
21 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Iternary Suggestions for 7 days in norway

And also i had a look into aurlandhavn.no/cruise-2/ship-arrivals-2014/ there is only one cruise on Aug8th 2014 from 9:00-17:00, Does it means there are no cruise reaching Flam before 8:52am?

Stavanger, Norway
Destination Expert
for Western Norway, Stavanger
Level Contributor
6,630 posts
104 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Iternary Suggestions for 7 days in norway

I don't see any cruise ships in Flåm on 08.08.2014. According to the ship arrivals list there you linked to there are no ships on 08.08 and 09.08.

Can some of the other regulars please verify?

Level Contributor
21 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: Iternary Suggestions for 7 days in norway

Sorry it's my mistake, i thought of mentioning Aug5th Tuesday, it's not Aug8th. I am planning to leave Flam on Aug5th to Oslo.

Level Contributor
21 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: Iternary Suggestions for 7 days in norway

Now i have decided to make some changes to the trip. Now I want to spend 2 nights in Bergen, 2 nights in Stavanger,1 night in Flam, 1 night in Oslo. I need help in planning the journey from Bergen to Stavanger. Forgot to mention few details about myself, i am 28 Years old and have experience in hiking.

Here is the plan

- Arriving Bergen on Aug1st 2014 Friday 10am, spend the day in Bergen.

- On Aug 2nd Saturday 1 day trip from Bergen to Blue ice trip on the Folgefonna Glacier, looks like the tour will finish between 4pm to 5pm. Is it possible to reach Stavanger by night from here, instead of going back to Bergen and staying over night in Bergen and catching next day morning bus to Stavanger? I want to hike both pulpit rock and kjerag hikes.

If i take a next day(Sunday) morning bus at 9am, i will reach Stavanger by 14:30, i don't think i will complete any hike on the same day.

If i can reach Stavanger by Aug2nd night or Aug3rd early morning, i can do pulpit rock on Aug 3rd and kjerag hike on Aug4th.

- Starting on Aug5th moring to Flam, as mentioned in previous posts , i want to take 8:15am bus from Stavanger to Odda to Voss. From Voss - Flam NIN, reaching Flam by 17:40 staying Over night in Flam.

- Continuing NIN trip on Aug6th morning to Oslo, reaching Oslo by 14:30 and spend 1 day in Oslo.

Your inputs on the plan are much appreciated.

Edited: 16 June 2014, 12:11
Oslo, Norway
Level Contributor
7,332 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Iternary Suggestions for 7 days in norway

Getting to Stavanger Saturday evening or early Sunday morning is not possible with bus. Your only travel option after visiting the glacier is ferry to Norheimsund bus back to Bergen 1740-1905. SAS has an evening flight to Stavanger at 2025, you might be able to catch it.

The rest of your plan looks fine.