We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Norway in November

Kolkata (Calcutta...
Level Contributor
3 posts
28 reviews
Save Topic
Norway in November

Hi,

I am planning a family tour to Norway in November 1st week. I want to know, whether November is a good time to visit Norway? Our main attractions in Norway are Northern lights and fjords. However, after reading from internet, I doubt whether we get clear weather in November. Please advise, whether a 7/8 days tour will be justified to visit Norway including Northern lights, fjords and other scenic beauties.

Also let me know the avg temp in November, as my parents are not much easy with shivering cold.

Harstad, Norway
Destination Expert
for Bergen, Norway
Level Contributor
27,387 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Norway in November

November is likely to be wet and cold and shorter days and not at all the best time to visit. If you would like to see the NL in not too cold conditions, you should go in September, preferably not earlier than the equinox.

Weather, forecast, statistics here www.yr.no

Kolkata (Calcutta...
Level Contributor
3 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Norway in November

Thanks Kilma for your short and crisp reply. What I understand, only NL may be seen in Nov. Again I see that May end is highly recommended for bright weather. But we can not see NL then.

Thanks, I think I have to choose any one (good weather/ NL) for our 1st trip to Norway.

Harstad, Norway
Destination Expert
for Bergen, Norway
Level Contributor
27,387 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Norway in November

Late May could be perfect for visiting the fjords, but still not yet spring in the north beyond the arctic circle. You need darkness to observe the Northern Lights. In May there is midnight sun and 24 hour daylight in north Norway.

For a summer visit for both north and south of the country - June would be a good month.

Charmouth, United...
Level Contributor
2,452 posts
1 review
Save Reply
4. Re: Norway in November

You can never be sure of good weather in Norway at any time of year. You can only go by the statistics and weigh up the chances for yourself.

March would be a very good time to visit northern Norway with plenty of daylight to see the fjord and mountain scenery, and also plenty of darkness to see the Northern Lights. Snow conditions are also at their best then, but it will of course be cold.

Late May would be a very good time to visit the western fjord area centred on Bergen, especially Hardangerfjord. Temperatures are likely to be in the range 10 - 20 degrees so probably much more enjoyable for your parents.

Oslo
Level Contributor
14,582 posts
92 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Norway in November

In November you must be prepared for temp around zero and perhaps snowfall, and in the north very short daylight (but many dark hours to look for NL).

In March there is most likely frost and snow remaining, nice if you want to experience winter, like this:

…cdn.tv2.no/multimedia/TV2/archive/00922/tro…

or perhaps like this

https:/…_2012_March.jpg

yr.no/place/…statistics.html

6. Re: Norway in November

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 14 June 2015, 06:16