We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Ideas on trip with Norway, Sweden, Denmark

Longmont, Colorado
Level Contributor
10 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
Ideas on trip with Norway, Sweden, Denmark

Never been to the area. Looking for help and different ideas. Here is some information.

Flying into Copenhagen Denmark Aug 26th and flying out of Denmark on Sep 7th. 12 nights.

Just 2 of us.

We want to visit Stockholm and spend more time exploring Sweden, towns scenery ect.

We plan on doing Bed and Breakfast's.

We are healthy and would like to do some nice hikes but not too long or strenuous unless it's worth it. (Have too keep daily strength up.) :-)

We are thinking of renting a car to travel some of the cool roads but that's where we are at now.

Any info to help with our travels would be appreciated.

Thanks

Edited: 14 June 2014, 05:22
Harstad, Norway
Destination Expert
for Bergen, Norway
Level Contributor
27,353 posts
38 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Ideas on trip with Norway, Sweden, Denmark

If you plan to visit Sweden, you should post on the Swedish forum.

Charmouth, United...
Level Contributor
2,452 posts
1 review
Save Reply
2. Re: Ideas on trip with Norway, Sweden, Denmark

Bed and breakfast in people's homes doesn't really exist in Norway, but there is some 'room only' accommodation with self-catering facilities. This is a good resource for what there is www.bbnorway.com .

Hotel rates in Norway are generally very reasonable, due to lower tax rates compared to other Scandinavian countries. In city hotels, mid-week rates will be higher than weekends for the period you are visiting. Low season rates will apply in many fjord area hotels.

With only twelve nights I would suggest you plan on visiting only one country in addition to Denmark, or you will spend most of your time travelling and not being anywhere. Norway is the most obvious destination for hiking and this page will give you some ideas and inspiration visitnorway.com/uk/…

Edited: 14 June 2014, 09:53
Longmont, Colorado
Level Contributor
10 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Ideas on trip with Norway, Sweden, Denmark

Thanks. Any suggestions to what to see and/or visit? We like to immerse ourselves in local culture. Anybody know any stops where people might miss but worth the visit?

Harstad, Norway
Destination Expert
for Bergen, Norway
Level Contributor
27,353 posts
38 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Ideas on trip with Norway, Sweden, Denmark

It says Stockholm and Sweden in your post - are you planning to go to Norway at all ?

Longmont, Colorado
Level Contributor
10 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Ideas on trip with Norway, Sweden, Denmark

Yes. We thought about a couple days in Stockholm but that's about it for Sweden unless someone points us to something we should do/see. We were even looking into the Lofoten Islands and staying at Reine but 20 hour drive is too long or the flight and ferry might be to expensive for just a couple days there. We like the idea of the Rorbuer huts.

We don't mind driving to places. We like it. Fun to stop at places along the way. And the trips like Oslo to Stockholm 6ish hours and a few others like that are not bad.

But then again. If it's better not to rent a car and travel by train, ferry and or plane to places then we will. We are open to any suggestions.

Longmont, Colorado
Level Contributor
10 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Ideas on trip with Norway, Sweden, Denmark

Opps. Thanks klimaflyktning I realized what I did. My first post I said

"spend more time exploring Sweden, towns scenery ect."

I meant more time exploring NORWAY!

Harstad, Norway
Destination Expert
for Bergen, Norway
Level Contributor
27,353 posts
38 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Ideas on trip with Norway, Sweden, Denmark

Cross border car rental is only practical if you return it to the renting point. To save time I would suggest a flight to wherever in Norway you decide to go in the end.

Norway is 2500 km from south to north, so with your limited time frame I would recommend that you either choose north starting with Lofoten, rent a car and do a round trip. For the south fly into either Oslo or Bergen and do a round trip of the fjord areas. Going north will add to the budget because it is further afield and the only practical approach will be a domestic flight.

Oslo
Level Contributor
14,561 posts
92 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Ideas on trip with Norway, Sweden, Denmark

For hiking and cool roads, Norway is the obvious choice in Scandinavia. Southern Sweden and Denmark are largely flat, while most of Norway is largely the opposite

Some scenic and cool roads

http://www.nasjonaleturistveger.no/en

https:/…B8ringfossen.jpg

https:/…no-14196.jpg

https:/…A5rddalen.JPG

…blogspot.com/_QJY8kBJFNps/…IMG_1455.JPG

https:/…Hella_Sognefjord_Norway.jpg

Although there are a couple of impressive bridges in Denmark

…wikimedia.org/wikipedia/…Peberholm.JPG

Hiking you can do anywhere in Norway, although I would say in general most rewarding in western Norway and central highlands (Oslo-Bergen drive)

Longmont, Colorado
Level Contributor
10 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Ideas on trip with Norway, Sweden, Denmark

Thanks klimaflyktning. We were just talking about that. Flying to Lofoton and renting a car and returning. Then flying to Stockholm, renting a car and driving west to fjord area's. It looks cheaper than flying to oslo then renting although I heard it's pretty boring driving across Sweden so maybe we will just fly into Oslo.

OsloViking, Wow!! thanks for the links. While searching the web I still miss some great things. Locals know best. We will definitely be driving a few of those especially ornesvingene i lysebotn (The eagle's bend).

Cant wait to get to Norway and put on some feet and tire miles. We love hiking in Colorado and hiking with different scenery in Norway will be great.

Klimaflykning and OlsoViking you have made planning our trip less stressful. Thanks again.

I do have a couple more questions.

Should we book the domestics flights early or wait?

Any local bars or restaurants not very may tourists go that we should visit in Oslo, Copenhagen, ect?

Harstad, Norway
Destination Expert
for Bergen, Norway
Level Contributor
27,353 posts
38 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Ideas on trip with Norway, Sweden, Denmark

Domestic flight prices vary from one day to another, but normally it is best to book early. Last minute is never a good idea.

There are very few tourists in Norwegian bars. Tourists are too busy doing touristy things to go to bars - besides they are often put off by the high price level. Very few (if any) restaurants can be regarded as tourist traps. The listings/reviews right here on TA will give you a good indication of what people enjoy. It also depends on what style/price level you are looking for.

Sorry, know very little about restaurants in Denmark/Copenhagen.