We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Help plannig a month in Norway :)

8 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Help plannig a month in Norway :)

Hi all!

I plan to land in Oslo in early August, and travel Norway until early September. My general idea is to start in Oslo, then go through Bergen, the western fjords, maybe Lofoten Islands, and finish somewhere in the north, maybe Tromso, with the hope to catch some northern light on early September.

I will be traveling alone, without a car, and am kind of low on budget. I know, Norway is expensive, I am ready for that, but I will cut expanses by sleeping in campsites when possible and cooking my own food. Is 17k-20k NOK going to be enough for a whole month?

My main interest is nature. And hiking. I would like to have many hiking treks on the way, and experience the wilderness of Norway.

Any tips on some recommended treks, how to get to them, the public transport in general (bus/train?), places not to be missed, etc will be appreciated! :)

Edited: 14 June 2014, 23:57
8 posts
1 review
Save Reply
1. Re: Help plannig a month in Norway :)

I forgot to mention, I have the Hosteling International card and will have an ISIC card. I heard I can get pretty good discounts with these cards.

Harstad, Norway
Destination Expert
for Bergen, Norway
Level Contributor
24,584 posts
37 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Help plannig a month in Norway :)

First part of August is still high season, so you need to start planning asap. Hostels in popular areas sell out. Train travel is the cheapest if you book ahead, but note that the network is limited.

https:/…about-our-tickets

8 posts
1 review
Save Reply
3. Re: Help plannig a month in Norway :)

Thanks for the answer!

As to the hostels - I want to keep my trip flexible and spontaneous, is it possible not to book everything and stay at campsites? are there campsites in every popular place?

Harstad, Norway
Destination Expert
for Bergen, Norway
Level Contributor
24,584 posts
37 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Help plannig a month in Norway :)

There are plenty of campsites, but many are difficult to access without a car.

visitnorway.com/en/…

http://www.campingguiden.no/

Trondheim, Norway
2 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Help plannig a month in Norway :)

15-20K is more than enough. Most students in Norway live on 7k a month (including rent). Although groceries and other necessities are expensive, there are a lot of cheaper alternatives in most supermarkets. When it comes to travelling north you should be able to hitchhike on the main roads.

If you plan to live cheaply 15-20 k is probably enough to stay for several months..

Harstad, Norway
Destination Expert
for Bergen, Norway
Level Contributor
24,584 posts
37 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Help plannig a month in Norway :)

Going on treks you can bring a tent and camp wild - that is free of charge. But it is good to have the budget for the mountain refuges if the weather turns against you.

Hardangervidda, Jotunheimen and Aurlandsdalen are accessible by public transport, but for the two latter there is transport only in season until mid August approximately. In North-Norway there are very few treks, but plenty of day hikes in Lofoten for example.

www.ut.no

8 posts
1 review
Save Reply
7. Re: Help plannig a month in Norway :)

Thanks guys, you are very helpful!

I am planning to wild camp while on treks, but I guess it is not possible in town and villages.

Day hikes are also good, not everything has to be long treks.

klima, is there an English version of this site? www.ut.no

And how do I know if a specific village/city has a campsite which is easily accessible?

Harstad, Norway
Destination Expert
for Bergen, Norway
Level Contributor
24,584 posts
37 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Help plannig a month in Norway :)

Up in the right hand corner of the www.ut.no site there is a button where you can swithc language.

NAF camp have their sites located on a map

http://www.nafcamp.com/en/

otherwise the approach could be to look up the accomodation part of official tourist web-site for the city you would like to visit. Campings might be connected to the city by public transport. Wild camping is not allowed in built up areas and weather in Norway is not always ideal for sleeping in a tent.

9. Re: Help plannig a month in Norway :)

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 18 June 2015, 05:17