We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Scandinavia trip for 8 days (Need Help for It)

Navi Mumbai, India
Level Contributor
14 posts
25 reviews
Save Topic
Scandinavia trip for 8 days (Need Help for It)

Hi, We (me & my wife) are planning to travel Denmark, Sweden & Norway from Muscat during last week of July for 8 days. We shall be reaching Copenhagen and are planning to stay 2 days in Copenhagen & Stockholm, 4 days in Norway (1 day in Bergen & 3 days in other places, please suggest). Please suggest us MUST visit places in Denmark, Sweden and especially Norway. Also is it possible to see Midnight sun during those time. Our budget for the entire trip is 11,000 NOK EXCLUDING Hotel & Airfare.

Thanks

Oslo, Norway
Level Contributor
7,332 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Scandinavia trip for 8 days (Need Help for It)

Your plan is too ambitious for your limited time. Remember that every time you travel from one destination to the next you lose the better part of a day to travel logistics. For a full day of sightseeing you need a 2-nights stay. It looks like your 8 days include the days of arrival and departure leaving you only 6 full days. Within this time frame I would not try to visit more than 3 places, either Copenhagen, Bergen and Stockholm or Copenhagen, Bergen and Oslo. if you choose the latter you could travel the Norway in a Nutshell route from Bergen to Oslo: www.norwaynutshell.com

New Zealand
Level Contributor
137 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Scandinavia trip for 8 days (Need Help for It)

Hello there. You're trip sounds amazing! I have only ever been to Norway and Svalbard but I'm keen to see more of Scandinavia. I wrote on a blog on it which might be useful: http://everyday-explorers.blogspot.co.uk

Bergen was lovely but I would recommend heading up North closer to the arctic circle, it really is beautiful.

Navi Mumbai, India
Level Contributor
14 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Scandinavia trip for 8 days (Need Help for It)

Hi Iverh, Thanks for the response. We shall be reaching Copenhagen on 1st day afternoon and going back on 9th day morning. So we have full 7 & 1/2 days with us. Is it possible to explore northern part of Norway also including Oslo & Bergen these 4 days of stay. We are planning to take a return flight from Bergen or any other destination in Northern Norway to Stockholm to catch the return flight. Also is my budget is sufficient?

Thanks

Oslo, Norway
Level Contributor
7,332 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Scandinavia trip for 8 days (Need Help for It)

It is physically possible to visit Bergen, Tromsø and Oslo in 4 days, but you will spend most of your time in planes and airports with hardly any time for seeing anything, I would advise against it.

A budget of 11000 is generous if it is only for food, sightseeing etc., but very tight if it is meant to cover flights or hotels within Scandinavia.

Navi Mumbai, India
Level Contributor
14 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Scandinavia trip for 8 days (Need Help for It)

We are planning to travel from Bergen to Myrdal to Flam by train. Please advice can we get local ferry from Flam to Sognefjorden and Sognefjorden to Gudvangen. If yes, how much time it will take on this trip. From Gudvangen we will go to Voss by bus and then Voss to Bergen by train.

Also as we are planning to buy Scandinavian Saver Pass so do we have to pay the fare for the train between Oslo to Bergen, Myrdal to Flam and for ferry as mentioned above.

Thanks in advance for your responses.....

Navi Mumbai, India
Level Contributor
14 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Scandinavia trip for 8 days (Need Help for It)

Also please advice which nutshell will be the best for us (young couple) Sognefjorden or Flam to Gudvangen.

Edited: 27 June 2014, 11:39
Harstad, Norway
Destination Expert
for Bergen, Norway
Level Contributor
27,093 posts
38 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Scandinavia trip for 8 days (Need Help for It)

Please study the top questions on Norway in a Nutshell and read the different reviews and see what others have enjoyed. There are relevant links in the blogpost - also for the ferry.

I am not familiar with rail passes but as a general rule they are not good value in Scandinavia. Study the NSB site and call their cusomer services for seat reservations if you plan to travel on long distance trains like Oslo-Bergen.

Oslo
Destination Expert
for Norway, Oslo
Level Contributor
12,975 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Scandinavia trip for 8 days (Need Help for It)

Rail passes will not include Flåm rail which is a private company, though you may get a discount.

9. Re: Scandinavia trip for 8 days (Need Help for It)

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 29 June 2015, 05:17