We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Camping in Hardangervidda

Utrecht, The...
Level Contributor
21 posts
3 reviews
Save Topic
Camping in Hardangervidda

Hello fellow travelers!

I am planning to go hiking in Hardangervidda national park (route Haukeliseter – Hellevassbu – Litlos – Torehytten – Stavali – Kinsarvik) and I was thinking of buying a tent to have as much freedom as possible. However, since I don't have any camping gear yet, I was really wondering about what I should buy. Does anyone have any good tips about the temperatures that I should be prepared for, what kind of sleeping bag and mats I would need, etc? All tips are more than welcome.

Thanks in advance!

Harstad, Norway
Destination Expert
for Bergen, Norway
Level Contributor
27,986 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Camping in Hardangervidda

Temperatures depend on when you plan to go.

Use the search function here to find temperatures

http://www.yr.no/

Surely a store selling equipment would be able to advise you. The most important are waterproof clothing, boots well broken in and the actual backpack (rucksack). Sport shops also sell various kinds of dried, lightweight food. And do not forget the blister plasters.

Utrecht, The...
Level Contributor
21 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Camping in Hardangervidda

Thanks for you reply! I was planning to go in a week, so in the middle of the summer. And I have seen the temperatures, but was wondering if those temperatures aren't too far off when I would decide to e.g. sleep on the top of a mountain.

Harstad, Norway
Destination Expert
for Bergen, Norway
Level Contributor
27,986 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Camping in Hardangervidda

Take a look at these statistics and you will have an idea of the variations. Temperatures can drop to below zero, even in summer. Right now it is unusually warm.

yr.no/place/…statistics.html

Tromso, Norway
Level Contributor
5,605 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Camping in Hardangervidda

Excuse me, but you are saying this is your first tour in the mountains, and you like to do it by your self, without any experience..?

And then you want to do it in a high mountain area like Hardangervidda..?

I think it's little gambling with your own life, and also with another life's if something happen with you, and they have to start a rescue operation!

Without experience for mountain hiking, I think you should be smart and start at a lower area...

Just a tip..;)

Charmouth, United...
Level Contributor
2,452 posts
1 review
Save Reply
5. Re: Camping in Hardangervidda

Totally agree with Gunnar. This is not an area for a first experience of hiking in Norwegian mountains with camping equipment.

You might be able to join a guided hut to hut tour with www.turistforeningen.no , or choose some easier and lower level hikes if you want to go on your own. These pages will give you some ideas …visitnorway.com/uk/…

6. Re: Camping in Hardangervidda

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 21 July 2015, 06:16