We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Itinerary for the end of August; hoping for general feedback

Seattle...
Level Contributor
9 posts
38 reviews
Save Topic
Itinerary for the end of August; hoping for general feedback

Hi all,

I'm planning a solo adventure for the end of August. I'm an amateur but passionate photographer and after lots of research, this is the itinerary I've come up with. I'm just looking for general feedback as to whether there are ways I might be able to get around easier or places I'm missing that aren't too far out of the way that I should include (budget isn't too big of an issue).

One specific question I did have was if there are any can't-miss views of Oslo and/or Bergen you would recommend for photography. Greatly appreciate the feedback, thanks!

Day 1: Seattle to Oslo, rest

Day 2: Explore Oslo

Day 3: Explore Oslo

Day 4: Train from Oslo to Bergen

Day 5: Explore Bergen

Day 6: Flight from Bergen to Bodo, ferry to Svolvaer, rent car

Day 7: Lofoten Islands

Day 8: Lofoten Islands

Day 9: Lofoten Islands

Day 10: Lofoten Islands, return rental car, Hurtigruten from Svolvaer to Tromso

Day 11: Tromso

Day 12/13: Flight from Tromso to Oslo, fly home to Seattle

Oslo
Destination Expert
for Norway, Oslo
Level Contributor
12,079 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Itinerary for the end of August; hoping for general feedback

Day 4 you may like to take Norway in a Nutshell route between Oslo and Bergen, travelling on Flåm rail and Nærøyfjord ferry. Timetables here www.norwaynutshell.com/en/explore-the-fjords/

You can save by booking minipris tickets for the rai journey Osl-Flåm (includes Flåm rail). https://www.nsb.no/en/frontpage

The rest you can just pay as you go.

Harstad, Norway
Destination Expert
for Bergen, Norway
Level Contributor
25,879 posts
37 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Itinerary for the end of August; hoping for general feedback

What kind of photography - scenery, buildings ?

Here are some ideas from Bergen and the fjords.

https:/…

Seattle...
Level Contributor
9 posts
38 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Itinerary for the end of August; hoping for general feedback

dyoll -- thanks so much for the link to the Norway in a Nutshell route. I wanted to do this and mistakenly thought the RailEurope website was offering the same thing.

klimaflyktning -- I like to photograph landscapes and cityscapes the most. Any hikes you could recommend to great Oslo or Bergen viewpoints would be greatly welcome.

Harstad, Norway
Destination Expert
for Bergen, Norway
Level Contributor
25,879 posts
37 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Itinerary for the end of August; hoping for general feedback

As far as I understand, RailEurope is best avoided. Their prices are inflated and not all connections show. Reduced fares offerd by the railways do not show at all.

Oslo does not have the same dramatic landscape as the fjord areas, but I would expect you would have good views from the top of the Holmekollen ski jump among others. Oslo also has some modern architecture that could be worth photographing. Contrasts between the different parts of the city maybe ?

Bergen is surrounded by viewing points like Fløien and Ulriken and funicular and cable car to take you there. Colourful wooden houses and cobbled alleys. In the south of Norway the fjords have the most dramatic landscapes.

Charmouth, United...
Level Contributor
2,452 posts
1 review
Save Reply
5. Re: Itinerary for the end of August; hoping for general feedback

Good plan with a sensible amount of time in each place to explore and enjoy. You could get to Lofoten quicker and cheaper by flying to Evenes (Harstad / Narvik) airport and renting a car from there. Return the car there and take the express boat from Harstad to Tromso.

Seattle...
Level Contributor
9 posts
38 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Itinerary for the end of August; hoping for general feedback

Thanks again klimaflyktning -- the ski jump in Oslo seems to be what I was looking for and the cable car to the overlook in Bergen looks fantastic.

Norsc -- thanks for the tip. I may fly from Bergen to Evenes as you suggested.

If I instead decide to fly from Bergen to Bodo and take the express boat to Svolvaer, could someone help me read this schedule? http://www.torghattennord.no/ I'm having a tough time understanding the Bodo to Svolvaer times.

Harstad, Norway
Destination Expert
for Bergen, Norway
Level Contributor
25,879 posts
37 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Itinerary for the end of August; hoping for general feedback

Departure at 17:15 every day except Fridays (18:00) and Sundays (20:30). There is also a Hurtigruten departure every day - more comfortable.

Seattle...
Level Contributor
9 posts
38 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Itinerary for the end of August; hoping for general feedback

Hi all, thanks again for all the help and wonderful feedback.

I have most everything booked for my trip, including a lot of flights within Norway through Wideroe, such as Bergen to Bodo, Bodo to Svolvaer, etc. How early would you recommend showing up to these small airports? Does the two hours before departure rule still apply? Or would something like one hour still be safe?

Tromso, Norway
Level Contributor
5,062 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Itinerary for the end of August; hoping for general feedback

45 mins is enough!

But, as I see on another comments by flying to Evenes and express boat to Tromso... If I was you I should fly to Bodo and take Hurtigruten over to Lofoten, because the most lovely way to arrive this islands is by sea, to see the Lofoten wall grow up in the horizon...

And the express boat it's not a comfy trip... difficult to take pictures too... Hurtigruten is much better for it..;)

And good luck with lady Aurora too...

Oslo
Level Contributor
415 posts
Save Reply
10. Re: Itinerary for the end of August; hoping for general feedback

Hello Bryden,

Since you have mentioned you are planning your adventure for the end of August and shared your passion for photography, perhaps this information might be interesting:

Oslo Photo Marathon - join a 12-hour photo odyssey in Oslo (Aug 23, 2014) www.visitnorway.com/en/product/?pid=217154