We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Visiting Norway in October

Montevideo, Uruguay
Level Contributor
6 posts
Save Topic
Visiting Norway in October

Hi,

I am planning a two week road trip in Norway in next October and would really appreciate if someone can comment on my planned itinerary.

Basically we plan to start in Oslo (three days there) and then rent a car a visit the following cities/towns/places:

- Bergen - we have a book of great drives and it highly recommends this route - we also plan to stop at Myrdal or Flam to take the train between these two towns

- Stavanger - Preikestolen

- Fjaerland

- Trollstigen

- Trondheim

- Mo i Rana (perhaps we can drop the car in Trondheim and make it to Mo i Rana by train)

- Bodo (train or car again)

Then from Bodo to Oslo by plane and back again to Uruguay.

Thanks in advance! Any help would be greatly appreciated!!!

Best regards,

Juan Pablo

Oslo
Level Contributor
13,056 posts
92 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Visiting Norway in October

First you should note that October is late season. Days are shorter and leaves have fallen. First snow and frost is likely in the highlands and mt passes (such as Trollstigen), most places will be cool and chilly.

You are also spreading out a bit, although that is OK within 2 weeks.

Oslo
Destination Expert
for Norway, Oslo
Level Contributor
11,169 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Visiting Norway in October

There is no road to Myrdal - you will have to take a return trip on the rail from Flåm.

One way car hire is extremely expensive in Norway - perhaps cut out Trondheim and return car to Oslo, then fly north. Why Bodø and Mo i Rana? Consider Lofoten for a week and hiring a car there.

Note also that hiring a car in Oslo in October will not come with winter tyres as standard - you need to request these as you are planning travelling over mountains.

Edited: 10 August 2014, 21:00
Stavanger, Norway
Destination Expert
for Western Norway, Stavanger
Level Contributor
6,796 posts
104 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Visiting Norway in October

Be prepared for unpredictable weather in the western part of Norway in October: rain and wind. Mid May through August are the best time to visit the iconic fjord areas.

Montevideo, Uruguay
Level Contributor
6 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Visiting Norway in October

Thanks all!

What temperatures should I expect? Oslo? Lofoten?

Montevideo, Uruguay
Level Contributor
6 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Visiting Norway in October

Dyoll, thanks very much!

You recommend going back to Oslo after of before Trondheim?

Where do you recommend us to go in Lofoten? I guess it is a good place to see the northern lights, right?

The rest of the itinerary is ok? Or should we change some town/place for another?

Thanks again!!!

6. Re: Visiting Norway in October

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post has been removed at the author's request. The author may post again if desired.

Posts on the TripAdvisor forums may be edited for a short period of time. Once the edit period has expired, authors may update their posts by removing and reposting them.

To read more about editing your posts, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/help/how_to_edit_your_posts

Removed on: 16 August 2014, 14:16
Oslo
Level Contributor
13,056 posts
92 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Visiting Norway in October

Full weather data

yr.no/place/…statistics.html

Oslo
Destination Expert
for Norway, Oslo
Level Contributor
11,169 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Visiting Norway in October

Maybe you could skip Trondheim unless you have some special reason to visit. You could save a couple of days - travelling and staying in Trondheim for a day. For information on Lofoton see this thread tripadvisor.co.uk/…60546152 and many other contributions by Gunnar plus top questions on the Lofoten thread.

Montevideo, Uruguay
Level Contributor
6 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: Visiting Norway in October

Thanks for all your replies!

We have make some modifications to our itinerary in order to include the Lofoten Islands.

06/10 - We arrive to Oslo by plane from Copenhagen

07/10 - Oslo

08/10 - Oslo

09/10 - Oslo

10/10 - Oslo to Flam (car 4:30hs) + roundtrip train Flam - Myrdal / Night in Flam or nearby (???)

11/10 - Flam to Bergen (car 2:30hs) / Night in Bergen

12/10 - Bergen to Stavanger (car 5:00hs) / Night in Stavanger or nearby (???)

13/10 - Pulpit Rock then heading to Trondheim by car

14/10 - Driving

15/10 - Driving through Trollstigen and arriving to Trondheim

16/10 - Trondheim to Evenes (plane)

17/10 - Lofoten

18/10 - Lofoten

19/10 - Lofoten

20/10 - Lofoten (Svolvaer) to Oslo by plane

Any comments? It´s too much to do in two weeks??

Thanks!

Oslo
Level Contributor
13,056 posts
92 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Visiting Norway in October

That detour to Pulpit rock adds driving. You also spend 3 full days in Oslo, nice and interesting town but I would say Bergen is more charming.

Note that by October 15th there may be snow on some mountain passes, so ask locals, check forcast and/or call road info on 175.

A visit to Pulpit Rock can be a cool and wet experience at this time.