We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Travelling from Oslo via Bergen and Lofoten to Nordkapp

Maribor, Slovenia
Level Contributor
660 posts
44 reviews
Save Topic
Travelling from Oslo via Bergen and Lofoten to Nordkapp

Hello

Next summer I want ti visit Norway with my wife. We plan to fly from Vienna to Oslo by Norwegian (option fly to Copenhagen and than to Oslo by boat) and than by rental car voa Bergen to Bodo, by boat to Lofoten and further to Nordkapp, back to Alta and by plane via Osloto Vienna. First i plan 10 days tour, but I do not know if it is enough. Now I am thinking of 14 days. We want to stay. 2 nights on Lofoten, 2 nights in Oslo. Iask you for some instruction and your advices about the trip. Someone said that there nothing special to see between Tromso and Nordkapp. Also ask for some recommendation about accomodation (budget trip, Norway is extremly expensive), where to buy food and beverages. I also want to take my tent with me, is that acceptable or do you suggest other solution. How much cost the gasoline?Could someone help mewith itinerary (also options without Nordkapp, but with most attractive places in Norway)?

I will appreciate your help. Thank you. Ales

Harstad, Norway
Destination Expert
for Bergen, Norway
Level Contributor
28,012 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Travelling from Oslo via Bergen and Lofoten to Nordkapp

The most attractive/scenic places in Norway are the western fjord areas and Lofoten Islands/Vesterålen Islands/Senja island.. If you are on a budget, you need to find alternatives to one way car rental as drop off charges can double your car rental budget. Rent cars when necessary and use the trains for transport when possible. You could also take a cheap flight to save time and money. I would also recommend not to go all the way to North Cape if you have limited time and money as it is very far and will eat up a lot of your budget on just petrol alone.

With viaMichelin you can plan your trip including costs - but you need to add time and cost for ferry crossings and some for good measure.

Wild camping is accepted in the wilderness, but around cities like Oslo you need to calculate for a pitch at the camping. It is not expensive and you have access to cooking and sanitary facilities included. Most campings also have reasonably priced basic cabins.

To find out more, use the search function on this excellent site

http://www.visitnorway.com/en/

Maribor, Slovenia
Level Contributor
660 posts
44 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Travelling from Oslo via Bergen and Lofoten to Nordkapp

Thank you. Could you advise me an itinerary?. It is possible to take a train Oslo Bergen and pick up car in Bergen drive to Trondheim, flight to Bodo rent a car, boat to Lofoten by car to Tromso and back to Oslo. Is that possible. When I was a student I wished to visit Nordkapp, but now I ask myself if it is worth of visiting, or is there any option to take plane to Alta (e.g. from Tromso or Narvik) and make a one day visit. I know that there is about 600 km from Narvik to Nordkapp, probably 2 days drive. I am a little confused now. I mentioned budget trip because Norway is extremly expensive, e,g, I slept in Tokyo in pretty good hotel for 60 euros per day for 2 person with breakfast, probably is this in Norway not possible, isn not it? Please for further advices.

Thank you Ales

Harstad, Norway
Destination Expert
for Bergen, Norway
Level Contributor
28,012 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Travelling from Oslo via Bergen and Lofoten to Nordkapp

Yes, it is possible to travel partly by train and then rent a car in Bergen. But Bergen to Trondheim, there will be drop-off charges that may double the price of your car rental.

Honningsvåg is the town closest to North Cape there are local flights - see www.wideroe.no

Use a travel planner to plan your driving itinerary and take ideas from the top questions in the top right hand corner of the forum.

Budget hotels/guest houses you may find from € 120-150 breakfast included.

Please use the search function on visit Norway to find further infos on trains etc.

Railway network

https:/…

Oslo, Norway
Level Contributor
7,332 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Travelling from Oslo via Bergen and Lofoten to Nordkapp

General advice:

- One-way car rental is expensive. Fly or take trains where possible.

- Nordkapp is not worth the time and cost it takes to get there, drop it.

- Accommodation is generally expensive, bringing a tent and camping when possible is a good idea. 60€ for a hotel room with breakfast is totally unrealistic, in Norway you need to double or triple that price estimate.

Itinerary suggestion:

- Fly to Bergen. This summer Norwegian offers cheap flights Vienna-Bergen via Oslo Mon and Fri.

- Travel to Oslo with train and the Nutshell detour. Book train tickets on-line 3 months in advance at www.nsb.no .

- Travel Oslo-Trondheim-Bodø by train. Rent a car at Bodø airport and bring it on the ferry to Moskenes. Spend all the time you have exploring Lofoten.

- Return to Bodø with the ferry Lødingen-Bognes, return your rental car and fly back home.

Maribor, Slovenia
Level Contributor
660 posts
44 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Travelling from Oslo via Bergen and Lofoten to Nordkapp

Hello

Thank you for your suggestion. Now I made a preliminary itinerary and ask you for your opinion:

Flight to Oslo from Vienna, rent a car and drive to Bergen (with stop in Myrdal and take the Flam train), drive from Bergen nort over fjords to Alesund, Trollstigen Atkantic road to Kristiansand and back to Oslo (approx, 6 days, is less days possible?), take a plane from oslo to Bodo take a car for 4 days go by boat to Lofoten, make a Lofoten tour and back to Bodo (probably with Tromso) Take palne in Bodo and fly to Vienna via Oslo.

Just a question must I take a tent with me( a lot of baggage, tent, airmattress, 2 sleepbags etc) or could we take a cabin in camping and how much cost the cabin for 2 person in camping?

I calculated the cost and looks like 120 euro pp flight VIE - OSL-VIE, OSL-Bodo-OSL 160 euros pp, 450 euro 1 rent a car, 230 euros 2 rent, without gasolin (approx.1,80 euros per litre), sleeping in camping (tent 40 euros per night for 2 person (what about cabin??). Is that realistic or not? How about food prices? How much cost private rooms in hostels?

Thank you Ales

Edited: 16 August 2014, 22:03
6. Re: Travelling from Oslo via Bergen and Lofoten to Nordkapp

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 18 August 2015, 06:16