We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Oslo or Bergen

Somerset UK
Destination Expert
for Devon
Level Contributor
1,051 posts
202 reviews
Save Topic
Oslo or Bergen

Thanks everyone for posting on my "Oslo to Bergen" and "Norwegian Coastal Voyage vessels". Hopefully I can now finalise my plans for next year.

Rather than flying to Bergen we are flying to Oslo first then taking the train to Bergen before going on the "Classic Explorer" voyage of the Hurtigruten which includes arrival into Oslo from Trondheim in the afternoon, a full day in Oslo and then an early morning flight back to the UK.

We arrive in Oslo on Thursday afternoon and join the Hurtigruten on Sunday evening.

Should I:

1. Look around Oslo for 2 days then take the train directly to Bergen and join the ship, or:

2. Look around Oslo for one day then go on the "Norway in a nutshell tour", then look around Bergen during the following day before joining the ship in the evening; or:

3. Look around Oslo for one day, then take the train directly to Bergen, then look around Bergen during the following day before joining the ship in the evening; or:

4. Just stay the first night in Oslo then continue with either options 2 or 3.

I'm tempted by options 2 or 3 which means that overall I will have looked around Oslo for 2 days and Bergen for 1 but would appreciate any suggestions.

Thanks

Chasing Lights
Sightseeing Tours, Nature & Wildlife Tours, Night Tours, Private Tours
Creative Vacations
Sightseeing Tours, Night Tours, Photography Tours
Bergen Segway
Sightseeing Tours, Segway Tours, Other Fun & Games
Arctic Adventure Tours
Dolphin & Whale Watching, Safaris, Speed Boats Tours, Other Outdoor Activities, Sightseeing Tours
Oslo, Norway
Destination Expert
for Oslo, Naxos, Norway
Level Contributor
22,355 posts
43 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Oslo or Bergen

Hi WaltR,

This depends completely upon what your interests are. Oslo is, of course, tge capital of Norway and has a lot to offer. Look up this site:

www.visitoslo.com/index.php…

If you go for scenery option 2 is in my opinion spectacular - depending upon what time of year you travel, and if you like to use your time travelling.

Both Oslo and Bergen are worthwhile exploring.

Oslo
Level Contributor
818 posts
331 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Oslo or Bergen

Having done all of these I would suggest you take up option 2.

"2. Look around Oslo for one day then go on the "Norway in a nutshell tour", then look around Bergen during the following day before joining the ship in the evening; or:"

I would spend more time in Bergen than Oslo , no offense as I live in Oslo :-) Bergen is more of Norway than Oslo if you follow. Bergen has retained the old country charm while Oslo to a greater extent is fighting to become more cosmopolitan and much of its great history has been lost.

Norway in a nutshell is a great trip and you will enjoy the various train and boat trips.

Lyon
Level Contributor
20 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Oslo or Bergen

I would also recommend Bergen instead of Oslo, since I also find it a much more charming place. I'm not shure I would recommend taking the ¨Norway in a nutshell trip since it's seems like you would spend all your days travelling. It's nice to have a couple of days in one place and rest a little. Bergen is a very nice place to do that, and even if Oslo perhaps have more sights they aren't really that exiting. The only thing you should check out is the peacemuseum at the cityhall square. It's very good!

I guess I would go for number 3, if you want to do a little more than just travel.

Hønefoss Norway
Level Contributor
944 posts
71 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Oslo or Bergen

Drop the Nutshell, use your days in Oslo and Bergen. Take afternoon /evening train on Friday from Oslo, spend the whole Sat on Bergen. The city deserves it.

Seal Beach...
Level Contributor
2,505 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Oslo or Bergen

Honestly the train ride alone from Oslo to Bergen is a "norway in a nutshell" experience all on its own. The scenery as you come to about halfway through the journey is magnificent and you will have the opportunity to enjoy many wonderful fjords and the inner waters during the Hurtigruten cruise. You won't miss much the train ride down in to Flam actually so don't worry about it. (It is nice though, so do it at some point in your travels if you can - it's just not so essential on this journey...)

So I agree with the other posters who say enjoy Oslo and Bergen and just take the train ride across the country. Incidentally, I love both cities but youwill find Oslo much larger and more cosmopolitan, whereas Bergen is much more charming and seems more traditionally "Norwegian". I love them both for different reasons so take some time to experience both.

I might suggest for your Thursday to Sunday itinerary the following:

Thursday - arrive Olso, enjoy city

Friday - explore Oslo further

Saturday - take very early train Oslo to Bergen (say 7-8am)

5 hours trip (+ or -) so arrive Bergen by 12-1pm - enjoy city

Sunday - explore Bergen further - meet up with ship and depart for Hurtigruten.

I think this gives a nearly even distribution of time in each city and you will find each has its own charms. Enjoy Norway! LL

Somerset UK
Destination Expert
for Devon
Level Contributor
1,051 posts
202 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Oslo or Bergen

Thanks everybody - Bergen seems to be winning the vote!!

Do the seats on the train (not the "nutshell") need to be booked in advance?

Is there any advantage on which side you sit?

What and where is the cheapest way of buying them please?

Is it worth getting a "Scan pass" and if so, where do I get that from please?

Bergen, Norway
Level Contributor
1,268 posts
114 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Oslo or Bergen

Hello.

Seats have to be booked in advance - when you buy the ticket. Buy through internet : www. nsb. no.(cheapest NOK 199,-)

If you could choose where to sit: you should sit on your right hand side out of Oslo till Geilo and then on your left hand side the rest of your way ( coming to Myrdal you should jump over to the right). But you cannot choose both sides, so book a seat on your left (the best view over the mountains ).

I do not agree with the people saying you should not do the Nutshell tour !!

It is one of a kind - and the railwaytrip from Oslo to Bergen to my opinion is rather boring the first 3 hours.

The Flam railway is a unique experience and so is the Stalheimskleiva and the Naeroyfjord on the World heritage list.

Whatever you choose - have a nice trip.

Grethe

Mumbai, India
Level Contributor
465 posts
376 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Oslo or Bergen

I'd go with 2 (but in day you will not be able to do the Bygdoy peninsula and the sights within the city, so you may want to choose upfront) - bergen is much more chaming than oslo, and not to be missed espeically strolling along and between the narrow lanes of Bryggen.

Lyon
Level Contributor
20 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Oslo or Bergen

Hi again. If when you order you're ticket for the train, I would reccomend you to pay the extra 150 NOK for the comfort option. This is because you get the possibility to use a small longeroom with two chears where you have a panorama window view on both sides. You also have power outlets on your seats and complementary coffe.

I would also say that yes the Norway in a nutshell is not to be missed. But there's a lot in Norway that's not to be missed, but you can't do everything at ones. It's better to have a little room for relaxing and a break from travelling. But hey, that's what I prefere, not necessarily what everyone wants. However since you're taking the Hurtigruten and the traintrip, you'll defenitly gonna see a lot of one of the best sceneries in the world!

Bournemouth, Dorset
Level Contributor
222 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Oslo or Bergen

Agree on the 'first class' upgrade. We have done the trip twice (once in each 'class') and found the panorama windows wonderful. All Norwegian trains seem very comfortable but the extra space in the upgraded carriage is good as well as the other passengers cannot pass through this carriage (you have a pass card to open the door to rest of train)

like option 3 the best. As previously posted Oslo is a cosmopolitan city whereas Bergan has the charm. Whichever your choice you will not be dissapointed.

We are off for out 4th trip in September. Will have seen all 4 seasons now but still expect to be back again. it is a magical trip.