We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Local travel in from Lillehammer

In cooperation with: Visit Norway
Seattle, Washington
2 posts
Save Topic
Local travel in from Lillehammer

We will be taking the train from Oslo to Lillehammer on Dec. 24th. We plan to stay at Hunderfosson and then return to Oslo on the afternoon of the 26th. What would be the best way to get from Lillehammer to Hunderfosson? Can you rent a car and would you be able to pick it up on Christmas eve?

5 replies to this topic
Oslo, Norway
Level Contributor
7,332 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Local travel in from Lillehammer

Car rental agencies will not be working Sat Dec 24th nor Mon Dec 26th. If you take the train leaving Oslo at 8:07 on the 24th it will bring you straight to Hunderfossen. Mon 26th there are trains from Hunderfossen at 18:31 and 19:49 (www.nsb.no).

If you cannot make the early morning train, I suggest a taxi. You should book the taxi the day before, taxis are busy on the 24th: www.lillehammer.com/no/Produkt/?TLp=411772

Edited: 12 November 2011, 06:48
Seattle, Washington
2 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Local travel in from Lillehammer

Thank you so much for the information. The times for the trains to and from Hunderfossen won't work for us. Would it be a good idea to rent a car in Oslo and drive? We don't know what the road conditions might be like on E-4.

Thank you.

Oslo
Level Contributor
14,438 posts
92 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Local travel in from Lillehammer

In Dec most likely slush, snow or ice on the E6, but driving is generally easy (motorway or semi-motorway most of the drive) in case of heavy traffic delays possible.

E6 on snowy day

static.vg.no/uploaded/…1266681371266_600.jpg

abcnyheter.no/files/imagecache/normal/2009-0…

Lillehammer-Hunderfossen is only some 15 km (10 miles). Renting a car is relatively expensive, if only for the transport to Lillehammer i would say train is easier.

Edited: 12 November 2011, 17:28
Oslo, Norway
Level Contributor
7,332 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Local travel in from Lillehammer

I second OsloViking. Driving from Oslo is certainly doable, but not pleasant at this time of the year. Your options are: 1) Adjust your time table to make you able to take the train to Hunderfossen (the only excuse I can think of is if you are arriving/departing from Oslo on intercontinental flights the 24th and the 26th). 2) Take train to Lillehammer and taxi to Hunderfossen. 3) Rent a car and drive from Oslo.

Oslo
Level Contributor
249 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Local travel in from Lillehammer

There is a bus from Lillehammer to Hunderfossen area.

rute.oppland.org/prog/ruter/pdf/1540242.pdf

I don't know what the Christmas schedule is, but you could call (+47) 815 00 191 and ask.

Otherwise it would usually not be a problem to go to Hunderfossen by rental car. You will find a car for about NOK 1500 for 48 hrs. If you're several persons it will not be much more expensive than public transport and you're free to do excursions. It's just with heavy snowfall it will be any troubles, and if you're used to drive on snow there will be no problem at all. All the road from Oslo to Hunderfossen will be salted - so normally no snow or ice on the road (but often a wet road).

Reply to: Local travel in from Lillehammer
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
Get answers to your questions about Lillehammer