We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

BEST month to see the Northern Lights

In cooperation with: Visit Norway
liverpool
Level Contributor
58 posts
67 reviews
Save Topic
BEST month to see the Northern Lights

Hi,

I am looking into a cruise of Norway and really want to see the Northern Lights!

The brochure suggests Oct to March is the best time and I quite fancy doing something over xmas but the price is about £300 CHEAPER!!!!!

Is this because there is less change of seeing the lights?

CAN ANYONE SUGGEST THE BEST MONTH TO VISIT????

Thanks

Nicola

Hønefoss Norway
Level Contributor
943 posts
63 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: BEST month to see the Northern Lights

So many Qs on this ! Oct/Nov are grey months, first snow, but with possiblities, yes. IMO better mid or late winter, from Dec onwards. Cheaper in X-mas ? Several holidays , that may be the reason. Not a domestic vacation season for us we stay at home or with friends.

Oslo, Norway
Destination Expert
for Oslo, Naxos, Norway
Level Contributor
20,688 posts
45 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: BEST month to see the Northern Lights

Hi Nicola,

Look up this site for information:

www.destinasjontromso.no/english/index.html

Oslo
Level Contributor
12,836 posts
92 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: BEST month to see the Northern Lights

NL occurs all year. You must go when there is darkness at night. At Xmas it is dark all day, so a bit dull for a visitor perhaps. And you need clear sky, which is more frequent during late winter. December to March there will also (most probably) be snow on the ground.

Bournemouth, Dorset
Level Contributor
222 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: BEST month to see the Northern Lights

We did a trip on Hurtigruten over Christmas / New Year 2002. It was an enjoyable time. Had good company and Hurtigruten put on various activities to celebrate the festive season. The schedule changes over the festive period so some ports are 'omitted' or visited out of the normal time.

As a previous reply says the Norwegians to tend to stay at home for Christmas and many shops were closed whilst we were in port.

We had snow for much of the journey north of Trondheim which was beautiful but with global warming I believe that this has not been the case over the past few years. I found the northern light a little gloomy at times and whilst you can see scenery its dusk all the time.

Regarding the Northern Lights we had two brief periods where they were visible. However a couple we met who had stayed in Kirkeness before sailing south said they had a full show the night before they sailed.

Would I do it again....... certainly, Just hope I would see the lights a little more

5. Re: BEST month to see the Northern Lights

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 08 March 2010, 07:17