We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Tromso driving conditions in winter

In cooperation with: Visit Norway
Basingstoke, United...
Level Contributor
392 posts
15 reviews
Save Topic
Tromso driving conditions in winter

Hi,

I am planning to go to tromso to see northern lights in march 2012.

How are the driving conditions? Is there any snow on the roads? Is there any requirement of snow chains etc?

Any advice would be appreciated.

Norway
Level Contributor
65 posts
171 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Tromso driving conditions in winter

March could have snowy and/or icy roads. Winter tires are required. Most Northern Norwegians will only use studded tires. Snow chains are very seldom necessary if you have goood winter tires. Rental cars are usually well equipped (for which you pay a rather hefty "winterization" fee).

Harstad, Norway
Destination Expert
for Bergen, Norway
Level Contributor
25,228 posts
37 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Tromso driving conditions in winter

According to some trip reports, they found it surprisingly easy to drive in winter.

See sticker for trip reports on top of the Norway forum for further and detailed info.

Basingstoke, United...
Level Contributor
392 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Tromso driving conditions in winter

Thanks all.

Actually in UK we are not used to driving on snow... hence I want to be very sure.

Oslo
Level Contributor
13,513 posts
92 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Tromso driving conditions in winter

In winter Norwegian traffic is "almost" like summer because we are used too, equipped and the department of roads has an army of trucks and tractors out. Roads are however usually covered in hard snow or ice, basic rules are to take it easy, be gentle, and keep a generous margin to other cars. And, surprisingly perhaps, the colder it is, the less slippery.

Harstad, Norway
Destination Expert
for Bergen, Norway
Level Contributor
25,228 posts
37 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Tromso driving conditions in winter

Those saying so on the forum were actually Brits. See

tripadvisor.co.uk/ShowTopic-g190475-i2314-k4…

Basingstoke, United...
Level Contributor
392 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Tromso driving conditions in winter

Thanks for the useful links. It has encouraged me to drive. I get the impression that the main roads would be gritted around Tromso. The posts also say that I should drive to Grotfjord and on the mountain pass over towards Sommervoy. Would those have packed snow? or they should be gritted?

Harstad, Norway
Destination Expert
for Bergen, Norway
Level Contributor
25,228 posts
37 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Tromso driving conditions in winter

All roads will have drivable conditions. If there is packed snow and cold weather, that is actually the best driving conditions you could have in winter. Roads are cleared regularly, it will not be bumpy or anything like that.

The most difficult conditions are when weather alternates between rain and snow, then you might get icy and difficult conditions on secondary roads and this is when they use grit.. Main roads get priority, so on secondary roads always consider current conditions and ask the locals.

Heavy snowfall can also give difficult driving conditions and reduced visibility.

8. Re: Tromso driving conditions in winter

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 27 May 2012, 09:17