We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

hurtigruten in January

In cooperation with: Visit Norway
Worcester, United...
Level Contributor
20 posts
51 reviews
Save Topic
hurtigruten in January

just done journey 11/15 Jan on Hurtigruten, flying SAS LHR/OSL/TRO arctic wonders, just thought I would put few things I wasn't sure of before I travelled. It was okay to take duty free from Heathrow through the transfer security at Oslo in had luggage provided sealed and receipt showing. Our planes going on the Wednesday were both nearly empty so plenty of seat space etc. security and customs was minutes! Going out you have to recover your baggage at Oslo but coming back the baggage goes straight through to London, coming back Sunday planes were full. Hurtigruten transfer waiting at Tromso. Only about 15 of us so reception sign in quick. Food excellent, coffee deal 210 kr. We had booked inside but had outside with lifeboat outside but as no promenade outside and end room on level 6 so very quiet, I had asked for quiet room great. Northern lights 1/4 hr on first night and 1/2 hr on next. Did snowmobiling trip from Mehamn, aprehensive as outside my comfort zone but loved every minute, also husky trip at Kirkenes and concert in Tromso then dropped at hotel with luggage after excellent. Tranfer back to airport fine. All staff on Hurtigruten ship excellent. Loved it, a real adventure. Expensive for me but worth every penny. Much lighter in hours in the middle of the day than expected, even blue bits on one day. Questions welcomed.

Middle East
Level Contributor
16 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: hurtigruten in January

Hi

Thanks for the report. We're travelling from Bergen to Tromso on the Noordkap in February so I read your report with interest.

Did you spend much time in Tromso? From your report it sounds more like you went straight from the airport to the ship. We'll have 4 nights in Tromso doing the Aurora trip and we're hoping to fit in the dog sledding as well (although I haven't booked this yet).

You say the food was good on the vessel? I've read mixed reviews about the quality of the food but I guess everyone has a different idea of what is good or not.

Cornwall England
Level Contributor
1,077 posts
173 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: hurtigruten in January

Can I just double check. Wine purchased in London can be taken via Oslo to Tromso if sealed. We are flying Bristol , Brussels, Oslo, Tromso. Changing airline in Oslo. Would like to get some wine at the cheapest point. C

England
Level Contributor
1,729 posts
55 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: hurtigruten in January

I'll jump in here if it's okay as we are booked for trip to Kirkenes end of Feb and have arranged the 'Husky' adventure. How was the organisation of this as there is very little time and were you offered the chance to 'drive' the sled yourself?

The coffee deal for NOK 210 is that Tromso/Kirkenes and back to Tromso again?

To transtravelle on your question of food on board. We travelled last year and found it to be pretty good though little choice for evening meal. Breakfast is buffet style with hot and cold selections,lunch we didn't have but I believe it's a similar arrangement. All food is expensive on board.

Thanks for the report by the way.

Worcester, United...
Level Contributor
20 posts
51 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: hurtigruten in January

Thanks for all the questions. We went on Hurtigruten transfer to ship, signed in, went to cabin with luggage and then walked round Tromso until ship left. There is the opportunity to extend the holiday when you book. My daughter is a fussy eater and left nothing! Quality is excellent to my English palate, I told my friends it was like eating 'Masterchef' food every night with all the mixture of flavours. I could have eaten more at the set meal at night but then I probably eat too much anyway! On buffet night, the night before Kirkenes we had a delicious what I would call reindeer strogonoff, the most tasty tender lamb dish, cod in tomoto sauce concoction, also the Norway giant crab, I don't even like crab and I really enjoyed the brown meat, my thinking is if food is good enough you can eat anything! We had venison one night, reindeer one night and then as a cured starter the next, two delicous fish on the other two nights. All food was tasty but I would say light rather than heavy rich food and I mean that in a good way.

Worcester, United...
Level Contributor
20 posts
51 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: hurtigruten in January

Oslo airport allows in hand luggage alcohol sealed in plastic with receipt showing and bought in the last 36 hours. It was definitely cheaper for us to buy at Heathrow. At Oslo you have to pick up hold baggage and go through security again. I do not know what you have to do at Brussels but a thorough search of the Brussels airport website will tell you if you have to pick up luggage and then go through security again and what their rules are as different airports have different rules on this. Interestingly when you go through Oslo on the way back your luggage goes straight through to Heathrow, we had missed this piece of advice and went to pick up our hold baggage and then had to go through security again once we realised it wasn't coming. The very nice SAS lady explained that the reason you pick up luggage on way in is because you have to go through Customs.

Worcester, United...
Level Contributor
20 posts
51 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: hurtigruten in January

Having done the Snowmobile trip (Kjollefjord to Mehamm) which was so exciting the Husky trip was enjoyable but sedate by comparison. Organisation was ok bearing in mind I am an easygoing person anyway. I recommend you avail yourself of the snow-suit with hood, balaclava, gloves and boots. There were only so many sledges with huskys so the group was split into two. While the first group went we went to pet the other huskies in the enclosures and some people took photos. I suspected the husky ride might be less time than the snowmobile at Kjollefjord because of the price, that old adage 'you get what you pay for'. The sledges have an outline in wood, I sat at the back against the wood and my daughter sat between my legs lower down to the ground, we were both glad of the extra padding. We had a musher each. It seemed like we went round a couple of lakes and we went through some woodland with some little ups and downs which made my daughter bob up a little and me laugh! I asked about why we had not been given the opportunity to drive ourselves and the musher said because it would take a longer excursion for us to be competent enough to drive ourselves. Having seen what a handful the dogs were to the mushers I could understand this. My only comment is that it should not promise the opportunity in the excursion leaflet! We were then given a hot fruit drink. Afterwards, unlike other posters we were given ample opportunity for photos in the Ice hotel, the sculptures in the lobby and the bedrooms and corridors.

Worcester, United...
Level Contributor
20 posts
51 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: hurtigruten in January

Just to say my daughter says the coffee/ tea deal was actually 215 kr. We did not avail ourselves of this as we had a travel kettle, tbags, latte sachets, hot chocolate, uht milk and of course the brandy we bought at Heathrow to keep us warm on deck. My understanding though is that the coffee deal is the same whenever you get on the ferry. We also took various types of cereal bars to keep our budget down. You do get a free tea or coffee in the bar after your dinner.

England
Level Contributor
1,729 posts
55 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: hurtigruten in January

Thanks for the info on Husky trip. Sounds a bit better than the Tromso one. I agree they shouldn't advertise the opportunity to 'drive' the sled oneself

Liverpool, United...
Level Contributor
3 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: hurtigruten in January

We have booked on the 12 day round trip, and as part of this are going on the Snowmobile Trip in the Polar Night excursion. When you did your snowmobile trip what did you do about insurance? We are finding it difficult to obtain cover for this 2.5 hour trip - any suggestions? Our current annual insurers will not cover us and Hurtigruten told us that the cost of the excursion did not include insurance.

Edited: 31 January 2012, 19:54
Worcester, United...
Level Contributor
20 posts
51 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: hurtigruten in January

I had to pay extra for winter sports when I did my insurance with flexicover. It did seem a lot for just 2.5 hours but I did not want to take chances. There are also cruise cover insurance options that include excursions but the ones I looked at said the cruise had to be for seven days.