We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

5 days in Northern Scandinavia in December?

In cooperation with: Visit Norway
Los Angeles...
Level Contributor
39 posts
Save Topic
5 days in Northern Scandinavia in December?

I posted the following in other forums here on TA but am hoping that the "experts" on the Norway forum can specifically address my question with regards to Northern Scandinavia:

"My husband (51yo, born/raised in Switzerland - has traveled extensively) and I (44yo born/raised California, have traveled a lot, have been to Europe 15ish times) are going to Europe in December (again...) to visit family in Switzerland for Xmas and family/friends in Hamburg for NYE. The really fun part is the 5-days/6-nights in between where we get to travel somewhere new and exciting, just the 2 of us. I have narrowed down my list to the following and would love some input/suggestions/advice or other ideas:

Prague, Czech Republic

Budapest, Hungary

Southern Spain - Seville, Cordoba, Granada

Italy - Venice/Florence

Luxembourg/Belgium

Portugal - Lisbon/Port

Northern Scandinavia - Norway/Sweden/Lappland (to see the aurora borealis)

My list is based on: where I have not already been (Paris, London, Amsterdam, Rome, Vienna, and pretty much everywhere in Switzerland and Germany). I'm not interested in the Christmas Markets (seen 'em), skiing ("retired"), or warmth (as if there is any in December in Europe, i.e. don't want to go to the islands). What is important: not spending too much time getting from one place to another, history/culture, making the most of 5 full days without exhausting ourselves (we go back often enough to not have that "5 countries in 5 days" attitude - every place I listed above that I've been to I spent a full week in each).

What say ye, oh great trip advisors?! :-) Thanks!!!"

Harstad, Norway
Destination Expert
for Bergen, Norway
Level Contributor
23,972 posts
37 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: 5 days in Northern Scandinavia in December?

There is hardly any daylight beyond the arctic circle in December which is ok for observing the northern lights but you will not be able to see the much of the landscape around you.

Personally I would have gone to southern Spain for the longer daylight hours and the better climate.

Trondheim, Norway
Destination Expert
for Trondheim
Level Contributor
4,299 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: 5 days in Northern Scandinavia in December?

If you want to see the northern lights December is a good time.

Head for Tromso as you've got more than enough things to fill the days with as well (the nights are filled with watching/hunting the aurora). Other Aurora-"hotspots" in the Nordic Countries tend to be a lot more remote and have less in the way of things to do and see (lack of a decent selections of restaurants is my pet peeve with these sites).

Oslo
Level Contributor
12,778 posts
92 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: 5 days in Northern Scandinavia in December?

In any case I would recommend trying to "do" Northern Scandinavia & Northern Finland at this time of year. It's a wide area and the remote interior can be very cold (-30 or - 40 C is likely).

It's possible to go whalesafari south of Tromsø (then you need to allow more days)

nrk.no/nordland/drar-pa-hvalsafari-midt-pa-v…

Los Angeles...
Level Contributor
39 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: 5 days in Northern Scandinavia in December?

Thanks for the information!

5. Re: 5 days in Northern Scandinavia in December?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 03 April 2015, 05:15