We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Arctic cruise?

In cooperation with: Visit Norway
Level Contributor
10 posts
9 reviews
Save Topic
Arctic cruise?

Hi! I am hoping to go on an Arctic cruise during the summer...female, solo traveller this time. I received a fairly cheap quote from polarcruises.com for " the Realm of the polar bear in depth" cruise departing July 30 from Longyearbyen. Cruise sounds lovely

polarcruises.com/arctic/…realm-polar-bear

My only question: I cant seem to find any reviews on this trip or the company. Is there anyone out there who has worked through this company before?

Stavanger, Norway
Destination Expert
for Western Norway, Stavanger
Level Contributor
7,248 posts
107 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Arctic cruise?

Please do a search on the main Norway forum and you will find a few posts for example these:

tripadvisor.com/ShowTopic-g503714-i11700-k46…

tripadvisor.com/ShowTopic-g503715-i11701-k62…

tripadvisor.com/ShowTopic-g503713-i11699-k60…

tripadvisor.com/…27957354

tripadvisor.com/ShowTopic-g503713-i11699-k72…

Level Contributor
10 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Arctic cruise?

Thanks a lot! much appreciated. YOu seem to be an expert? Could you tell me if this cruise in the link below is the same cruise as the one that gadventures organise? It seems to be the same iternary and also on ms expeditions, but just a different company organising the trip?

polarcruises.com/arctic/…realm-polar-bear

Thanks!

Tromso, Norway
Level Contributor
5,649 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Arctic cruise?

Have you checked out http://hurtigruten.com ..?

They sails of course all along the Norwegian coast all year, but have also cruise to Greenland and Antarctica...

Level Contributor
10 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Arctic cruise?

Thanks! I checked and it seems really good! How would you say does it compare to MS expedition ships? It seems like the iternarary is slightly different, but anything else that I need to know?

London, United...
Level Contributor
3 posts
308 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Arctic cruise?

Hi there,

I don't know if you booked this trip, but i've just got off MS Expedition in the Arctic & it was amazing. The staff were incredible, we saw 11 bears. 6 of which i have to say were barely visible with the naked eye, but they had binoculars on board. This trip is more about seeing the bears in their natural environment, the wildlife isn't as prolific as Antarctica, but it was still an excellent trip. I would say a lot of this has to do with the Captain and where he is prepared to go and the TL who basically trough the route to the wind as on the previous trip, they only saw 1 bear. It's not through the want of trying though, Theres a lot of knowledgeable experts on board, there is usually 3 or 4 of them on the bridge, constantly looking for bears & other wildlife. There were quite a number of single travellers on this ship, the rooms are big, so even though there are 4 of you, it's not too bad. They are on deck 2, next to where you get on & off the zodiac's, the room is cleaned twice a day, so towels and things are not a problem. They provide, shampoo, conditioner & shower gel, so i wouldn't bring any, save clutter in the bathroom as that is tiny. Hope you have a great time.

Level Contributor
10 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Arctic cruise?

Hi!

This is such good news! Thanks a lot! I did end up booking the trip; leaving on July 6th.

It would be amazing if I can spot 11 bears as well:-) Fingers crossed!

Thanks again for your response! Much appreciated!

7. Re: Arctic cruise?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 04 July 2015, 05:15