We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

getting there and getting around.

In cooperation with: Visit Norway
Which Mo i Rana hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Manchester, United...
Level Contributor
2 posts
13 reviews
Save Topic
getting there and getting around.

We are hoping to spend a few days here in october, cant seem to find train times for that time of the year. Does anybody know if i will be able to get the train from oslo to mo i rana on a sunday evening? Also once there is it easy to get around without a car? Things like walks from the town center, arctic circle sign (yes i want a picture with it haha) museum e.c.t. thanks in advance

3 replies to this topic
Oslo, Norway
Level Contributor
7,332 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: getting there and getting around.

Current time tables are valid until the 14th of June, but they will likely not change much. As of today, you can take an overnight train from Oslo Sunday evening and reach Mo i Rana Monday afternoon. Flying via Trondheim or Bodø is a quicker travel option.

Mo is an industrial town, not known for being pretty: …panoramio.com/photos/large/75279935.jpg . I would not spend time there unless you have a special reason.

To get around, f. ex. to Saltfjellet or to the coast, you will need a car. The coast of Helgeland is beautiful, here is a pic from road 17 in Aldersund, 80km from Mo: http://goo.gl/maps/Tl6a7

Manchester, United...
Level Contributor
2 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: getting there and getting around.

Thank you for your reply, wow i didn't realise it was so spars up there, may stop at trondheim instead then. Only wanted to go as it was the artic circle. Trying to stay away from flying as i have 4 seats to pay for. thanks again for the information :)

Trondheim, Norway
Destination Expert
for Trondheim
Level Contributor
4,345 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: getting there and getting around.

Most visitors tend to underestimate distances in Norway since we're only 5 million people.

Lenghtwise the distance Oslo-Mo i Rana is equal to the distance London-John o' Groats in Scotland.

The Arctic Circle centre (and sign) is along the main road on Saltfjellet (Salt Mountain) some 50 miles north of Mo i Rana. Flying into Bodo (just under 100 miles north of the Arctic Circle Centre) can be done cheapishly with LCC Norwegian. They have a sale now, but not valid for October travel - but will most likely have more sales - and tickets at this sale start at 399 NOK (~£40) , not much more expensive than discounted train tickets.

Then again Trondheim is very nice town to visit as well. To get from Oslo to Trondheim on a budget the cheapest is coach - www.lavprisekspressen.no (use online translator as it's in Norwegian only), prices from 99 NOK, check back for October-tickets later as they only sell until Mid-June now. Trains (www.nsb.no - starting at 249 NOK - discounted tickets are released 90 days in advance) is more comfortable.

Reply to: getting there and getting around.
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
Get answers to your questions about Mo i Rana
More Mo i Rana Topics