We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Febuary in Norway

In cooperation with: Visit Norway
Ettalong Beach...
Level Contributor
1 post
2 reviews
Save Topic
Febuary in Norway

I am planning to fly into Oslo from Sydney and stay one night. From there I want to head North getting to Svalbard. I would like to travel by train,if scenery is beautiful, and ski in Narvik. Please would you give me suggestions as I am open to change course if there are places that you feel better to be seen. I have 3 weeks with 1 of those weeks in Svalbard. Thanks Nicole

P.S Is it ok to travel as a single women in Norway?

Mentioned in this post
Oslo
Oslo
Eastern Norway, Norway
Norway
Norway
Europe
Trondheim, Norway
Destination Expert
for Trondheim
Level Contributor
5,017 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Febuary in Norway

Train tracks stop in Bodo, to get to Narvik you need to take a bus from Fauske (just before Bodo). But the journey will take around 24 hours and due to lack of daylight sights from the train windows will be very limited.

Flying from Oslo to Harstad/Narvik Airport Evenes (EVE) would be easiest and advisable (www.flysas.com or www.norwegian.com). From Narvik you can fly to Svalbard via Tromso (www.flysas.com or www.wideroe.no).

Of course it's ok to travel as a single woman in Norway.

Mentioned in this post
Bodo
Bodo
Nordland, Norway
Oslo
Oslo
Eastern Norway, Norway
Tromso
Tromso
Troms, Norway
Norway
Norway
Europe
Tromso, Norway
Level Contributor
5,859 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Febuary in Norway

You are not the first lonely woman who traveling north... and you will be surprised that you will meet half the world in the Arctic..;)

Finnair begin this winter to fly directly Helsinki to Tromso, so hopefully they continue next winter, so that's the easiest way from Asia to the Arctic.

You can fly to Svalbard from Oslo or Tromso.

What's your plan on Svalbard..?

Mentioned in this post
Tromso
Tromso
Troms, Norway
Oslo
Oslo
Eastern Norway, Norway
Harstad, Norway
Destination Expert
for Bergen, Norway
Level Contributor
30,987 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Febuary in Norway

My thoughts exactly. How are you going to spend a full week in Svalbard ? That will be a lot of snow mobiling and dog sledding. Early or late February makes a difference regarding daylight.

If you like the idea of taking trains, there is also a possibility to take the train through Sweden to Narvik.

Mentioned in this post
Sweden
Sweden
Europe
UK
Level Contributor
420 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Febuary in Norway

I'd advise going from Oslo to Bodo by train, then ferry from Bodo across to Lofoten for at least a couple of days, and then you can take a bus from Lofoten to Narvik.

I did that journey mid Feb this year, the scenery on the train journey was stunning, the daylight more than long enough to enjoy it (around 8-9 hours of daylight), and the long journey allowed enough time to relax and enjoy not having to drive or rush anywhere.

Lots of people on this forum are really quick to advise that people should fly or avoid the long train and bus journeys, but I'm sure I can't be alone in viewing the journey as an enjoyable part of the holiday when doing a trip like this. Our experience in Norway wouldn't have been anywhere near as enjoyable if we'd just arrived direct at our destinations. The transport we used was cheap, reliable, and a fantastic way to see more of the beautiful country we'd gone to explore.

I've not visited Svalbard so I can't advise on that.

I traveled as a single woman with a young child and felt completely safe at all times.

Mentioned in this post
Oslo
Oslo
Eastern Norway, Norway
Bodo
Bodo
Nordland, Norway
Lofoten Islands
Lofoten Islands
Nordland, Norway
Norway
Norway
Europe
Hønefoss Norway
Level Contributor
949 posts
75 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Febuary in Norway

If you like to see winter in Norway, take train. You may have snowstorms in February, but also weather almost spring-like in the southern parts. And there are places to ski in South Norway too. By train you might have to change in Trondheim, giving a few hours to explore the city. On website wideroe.no you can book both WF and SK-flights, but not DY (Norwegian). The Norwegian site is only for DY-flights. If you change flights be sure to arrive and depart from same airport. Not a big problem in Norway, only Oslo might be said to have more then one airport. The main being Gardermoen (OSL) the other two are Torp Sandefjord (TRF) and Rygge (RYG).

Mentioned in this post
Norway
Norway
Europe
Trondheim
Trondheim
Trondheim Municipality, Norway
Oslo
Oslo
Eastern Norway, Norway
6. Re: Febuary in Norway

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 29 March 2015, 15:15