We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Hamn i Senja

In cooperation with: Visit Norway
United Kingdom
Level Contributor
1,179 posts
47 reviews
Save Topic
Hamn i Senja

Staying at the above place in Senja. Wondering if there is a supermarket/shop nearby or any other restaurants. The hotel has a seaside restaurant and I'm vegetarian.

Harstad, Norway
Destination Expert
for Bergen, Norway
Level Contributor
27,679 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Hamn i Senja

I may be wrong here, but the place you are staying at probably hosts one of the few half decent restaurant on the island.

The nearest small supermarket I can recall is located in Gryllefjord. For a decent supermarket you will probably have to go to Finnsnes on the mainland. Hopefully, some others can fill you in. Or you could ask your hosts.

Oslo, Norway
Level Contributor
7,332 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Hamn i Senja

I think klimaflyktning is quite right, the closest decent supermarket is 50 km away.

Try to think of food in another way: when you get there you will understand that it is not possible to grow any vegetables in these parts. It is not possible to survive here without eating fish and seafood! It's part of the experience of Nortern Norway.

United Kingdom
Level Contributor
1,179 posts
47 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Hamn i Senja

Unfortunately, I cannot eat seafood, as it makes me feel sick. Do you know, if the hotel's restaurant has vegetarian options. I do not need vegetables but pasta with tomato sause or Pizza would be fine. Also what are prices like in the restaurant?

Harstad, Norway
Destination Expert
for Bergen, Norway
Level Contributor
27,679 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Hamn i Senja

I really think you will have to ask those question to the establishment directly. Although I can see the island of Senja in the distance from my living room window, I have never even read their menu.

Arvidsjaur, Sweden
1 post
Save Reply
5. Re: Hamn i Senja

I don't know when You will visit Hamn i Senja, but I know the chef there, Lasse and he is absolutely faboulus when it comes to vegetarian food. But please, send the hotel an e-mail in advance to inform them, There are no shops nearby so they can't go shopping the same day You arrive.

Have a nice time in Norway and give Lasse many greetings from Maria :)

United Kingdom
Level Contributor
1,179 posts
47 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Hamn i Senja

Thanks for your reply, Maria. I have e-mailed the hotel and they assured me that they would be able to cater for me. But it's great to know someone else has tried their food.

7. Re: Hamn i Senja

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 09 December 2013, 10:15