We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Country hotel near Tromso?

In cooperation with: Visit Norway
London, United...
Level Contributor
34 posts
28 reviews
Save Topic
Country hotel near Tromso?

Hi

My partner and I will be in Tromso in Feb. We'll stay 2 nights in the city, but wanted to stay 2 nights in the countryside too. We'd love to stay at the Lyngen Lodge but at £400 per room per night it's just too expensive for us. Can anyone recommend another hotel in the countryside accessible from Tromso that has a nice cosy lodge/log cabin feel? Our budget is up to £200 per room per night.

Also, do you stand a better chance of seeing the northern lights from a countryside hotel than from within the city?

Thanks in advance!

Stavanger, Norway
Destination Expert
for Western Norway, Stavanger
Level Contributor
6,861 posts
104 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Country hotel near Tromso?

I cannot help you with the lodging, but I can do the currency conversion for you:

200 GBP ~ 1800 NOK per room per night

Edited: 28 October 2011, 11:12
Harstad, Norway
Destination Expert
for Bergen, Norway
Level Contributor
25,199 posts
37 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Country hotel near Tromso?

I think you only option for a stay in the country would be to go self catering. A country hotel with full service restaurant etc would most likely have to charge more than £200 to make a profit. As for b&b style smaller hotels they do not exist as you would have to traipse all the way back to Tromsø for your meals - apart for a few roadside cafés there are hardly any places to eat in the countryside.

You will have a better and clearer view of the lights somewhere dark outside the city. This is also the reason why many choose to rent a car or go on a guided tour.

A list of different options here:

visittromso.no/english/accommodation_fisherm…

This one might be within your budget:

http://www.ersfjordbotn.no/

Oslo, Norway
Level Contributor
7,332 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Country hotel near Tromso?

Klima is right, most countryside accommodation is self-catering. Here is one option:

Lauklines Kystferie, Kvaløya: http://www.lauklines.no/ tripadvisor.com/Hotel_Review-g190475-d734500…

At Lyngseidet, there is a small hotel that serves food: facebook.com/pages/… tripadvisor.com/Hotel_Review-g190464-d232893…

London, United...
Level Contributor
34 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Country hotel near Tromso?

Thank you all for your help - I think we may have to re-assess our plans!

Harstad, Norway
Destination Expert
for Bergen, Norway
Level Contributor
25,199 posts
37 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Country hotel near Tromso?

Note that Lyngen Lodge prices are full board. It is still a bit stiff, but a hotel room in the city and three course lunch and dinner at a decent restaurant could easily set you back just as much. Is your budget £200 including meals ?

London, United...
Level Contributor
34 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Country hotel near Tromso?

Klima, you're right, it's not that bad but still more than we can afford even though it includes full board. The transfer to get there is a further £200 too, so all adds up! £200 is just for accommodation (incl. breakfast). I believe Lyngen is 2.5hrs drive away and as we could only afford 1 night there it's also quite a long way to go....

Considering Lyngsfjord Adventure camp instead, combining a stay in a cabin or tent with some activities. Do you have any experience of them?

Harstad, Norway
Destination Expert
for Bergen, Norway
Level Contributor
25,199 posts
37 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Country hotel near Tromso?

I do not know them personally, but from all the comments and trip reports on the forum it seems they are well liked. And I do think it sounds great fun. Besides, they pick up in Tromsø for their activities. Otherwise, countryside is not really convenient without a car, especially not in cold winter conditons.

London, United...
Level Contributor
34 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Country hotel near Tromso?

Thanks! I looked at the Lyngsfjord reviews and they are great, so i've booked it! Really looking forward to it. Thanks for all your help :)

Tromsø
1 post
Save Reply
9. Re: Country hotel near Tromso?

Hello =) You can try to book a room in Sørkjosen at Reisafjord Hotel, which is in Nordreisa county :) Its about 3 hours by bus from Tromsø, or 15 minutes by plane :) You can get a room for about £200 for two nights :) Norway is expensive, I should know, I live in Tromsø and Im from Nordreisa :)

10. Re: Country hotel near Tromso?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 30 August 2014, 19:16