We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Tromso 1st week in November

In cooperation with: Visit Norway
2 posts
Save Topic
Tromso 1st week in November

Hi everyone,

I'm looking for some good advice. Some friends and I are planning to go to Tromso between the 30th Oct and the 2nd Nov. Our main goal is to find Northern Lights. However, we're not sure if this is the right time to go, as I've heard November is usually quite a wet month there. Could anybody let me know...

- if these dates would be advisable to go?

- how easy it is to find Northern Lights in the area around Tromso?

- if we would need to hire a 4X4 or is it ok to get a normal car? What are the road conditions like there?

- if there would be a lot of snow in Tromso in those dates?

Thank you soooo much in advance!

Mentioned in this post
Tromso
Tromso
Troms, Norway
5 replies to this topic
Oslo
Level Contributor
16,712 posts
94 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Tromso 1st week in November

Not a lot of snow, but likely to be snow or ice on roads. You dont need 4WD, but advisable to have winter driving experience if you come from warm or tropical zone.

Northern lights are everywhere (but not every night), so you have to look or wait for clear sky.

Harstad, Norway
Destination Expert
for Bergen, Norway
Level Contributor
31,892 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Tromso 1st week in November

Usually very little snow in early November, mostly on the peaks. Often rain and sleet and greyish weather.

Northern Lights are in the sky above you IF the sky is clear and there is solar activity. Best away from city lights.

2 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Tromso 1st week in November

Great! I understand it will be quite likely for us to see the northern lights then. How far from Tromso should we drive to get the best views of the NL?

Mentioned in this post
Tromso
Tromso
Troms, Norway
Harstad, Norway
Destination Expert
for Bergen, Norway
Level Contributor
31,892 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Tromso 1st week in November

You know where the sky is right ? Above your head. The tricky bit is the clear sky. Sometimes guides drive several hundred km. Sometimes it is cloudy all over, sometimes no solar activity...

Tromso, Norway
Level Contributor
6,182 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Tromso 1st week in November

In general the visitors traveling far and spend a lot of money for come to the Land of the Northern lights, and then they missing out a very important thing...

Don’t forget to check the sky above you, when you walk around in the city, in the evening..;)

Enjoy and happy chasing!

Reply to: Tromso 1st week in November
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted