We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Australians trading beach for Tromso in January - for MetteS

In cooperation with: Visit Norway
Sydney
Level Contributor
361 posts
40 reviews
Save Topic
Australians trading beach for Tromso in January - for MetteS

We live just north of Sydney on the beach. Our friends don't quite understand why we think it would be great to go north of the Arctic Circle in early January when we could be on our local beach -but what do they know ? Not as much as you, seemingly, MetteS !

Your pictures of Tromso are great as is the advice you provide.

We're heading up to Tromso in early January for 2 nights to experience days without much light and hopefully to see some northern lights (not that we're necessarily expecting to be lucky enough to see them).

Where would you suggest staying ? We're looking for somewhere typical or charming rather than luxurious. Must be warm, though. We've got 3 kids with us.

There seems to be plenty to do for a couple of days with the museums etc. Can you get up to the viewpoints in the mountains that your photos are taken from in the winter, MetteS ?

Thanks in advance.

Bergen, Norway
Level Contributor
401 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Australians trading beach for Tromso in January - for MetteS

Hey, thanks for that... :o)

I don't know that much about accommodation in Tromsø - I live here, and don't stay in hotels that often.. :o) This website is very good www.destinasjontromso.no - and you will find info about various accommodation options there as well. On my Tromsø page on virtual tourist you'll find tips about things to do, restaurants, etc etc - also a few hotel tips - and quite a few photos: members.virtualtourist.com/m/878cd/33699/

There's also Tromsø camping if you'd like to stay in a cabin outside town www.tromsocamping.no - the cabins are insulated and should be comfortable year-round (I haven't stayed there myself, though!)

The cable car - Fjellheisen - is unfortunately closed between October and March (I think) - I see that their web page is also down http://fjellheisen.no/

I hope you'll have a great time in Tromsø - hopefully the weather will be nice, and nothing like it is today (unusually mild, 10C or so - and veeeery rainy and windy!) - be aware that you aren't guaranteed snow in January - there will most likely be snow in the mountains but not necessarily in town.

Sydney
Level Contributor
361 posts
40 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Australians trading beach for Tromso in January - for MetteS

Thanks for that.

The power of warming ocean currents really is amazing. That a place so far north can be snow free in mid winter is quite remarkable.

Our main reasons for coming are to (hopefully) see the aurora and also to look at a town where the "normal" cycle of the day just doesn't exist for much of the year.

We're looking forward to it.

3. Re: Australians trading beach for Tromso in January - for MetteS

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 11 September 2009, 23:16