We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

cruise ok for teenagers?

In cooperation with: Visit Norway
Ruffec, France
Level Contributor
14 posts
119 reviews
Save Topic
cruise ok for teenagers?

We are thinking of going on a hurtigruten ship in December but Im wondering if it will be boring for teenagers? Which are the prettiest towns and most beautiful scenery to visit? Also will it be dark most of the day? thanks

Oslo
Level Contributor
14,054 posts
92 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: cruise ok for teenagers?

Hhhhm, hard to tell. But this is low season for Hurtigruten (discount rates), and perhaps a bit quiet.

I guess it is less boring than other cruises because Hurtigruten is not a regular cruise, it also serves local/regional passanger transport as well as regional/long distance cargo.

In Dec there is winter darkness in North Norway (from Bodø). The snow cover and northern light can be very nice though, this guy has some nice pictures

www.digit.no/wip4/roy_samuelsen/pd.epl…

In south Norway days will also be short, dusk at about 15:30.

Oslo
Level Contributor
244 posts
1 review
Save Reply
2. Re: cruise ok for teenagers?

- It depends on the teenagers, but I guess it could be a bit boring - especially in December (cold, dark and windy)

- Prettiest towns: Bergen, Ålesund

- Most beautiful scenery: Ålesund-Geiranger, Ørnes, Stamsund

- Dark most of the day: No sun north of Bodø. Bergen - about 6 hours of daylight

Scunthorpe, United...
Level Contributor
1,733 posts
78 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: cruise ok for teenagers?

For how long? If not the whole trip which bit?

As others have said it will all depend on the teenagers, but I suspect they will be bored out of their skulls.

Under stjernene...
1 post
1 review
Save Reply
4. Re: cruise ok for teenagers?

I took the Hurti from Tromsø to Bodø this August and was bored to death. When I got off I envisioned myself kissing the soil. It all lasted only 24 hours.

There were some moments of beauty around the Lofoten islands, which is why I took the damn ride in the first place - but generally I wouldn't recommend this for teens. They wouldn't really have anyone else to interact with.

Tromso
5 posts
1 review
Save Reply
5. Re: cruise ok for teenagers?

i would really recommend focusing on particular cities to visit, on hurtigruten they offer you just flash excursion around few cities (mostly WITHOUT even going out from the bus), and deadly expensive food. Its very nice landscapes around, but again its DARK... And last but not least the average age is eee... 50? :)

choose good!

Wiktor

www.panoramix.no/virtualtromso/

Ruffec, France
Level Contributor
14 posts
119 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: cruise ok for teenagers?

So what should we do then? Would like a fun snow holiday in Norway with things like snowmobiles, husky rides etc and with somewhere for New Year but also stunning scenery. We've been to Finland and loved it but would like to try Norway this time. Thanks oh wise ones of the North!

Oslo
Level Contributor
14,054 posts
92 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: cruise ok for teenagers?

For New Year the very north might be bit dark (there is no real daylight at all). Perhaps consider some place further south, somewhere inland in the Trondheim district or in the mountains/valleys inland from Oslo.

Several winter resorts offer husky tours, if you want some *real* winter experience, consider Røros.

Norway has restrictions on the use of snow mobile in the wilderness, except on dedicated tracks.

8. Re: cruise ok for teenagers?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

TripAdvisor staff removed this post because it did not meet TripAdvisor's forum posting guidelines with prohibiting self-promotional advertising or solicitation.

We ask all of our members to keep their forum messages free of self-promoting advertisements or solicitation of any kind - members affiliated with any tourism-related business should not include commercial contact information or URLs in their forum messages.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 24 September 2008, 12:41
9. Re: cruise ok for teenagers?

TripAdvisor staff removed this post because it did not meet TripAdvisor's forum posting guidelines with prohibiting self-promotional advertising or solicitation.

We ask all of our members to keep their forum messages free of self-promoting advertisements or solicitation of any kind - members affiliated with any tourism-related business should not include commercial contact information or URLs in their forum messages.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

10. Re: cruise ok for teenagers?