We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Tromso winter trip

In cooperation with: Visit Norway
Postojna, Slovenia
Level Contributor
106 posts
105 reviews
Save Topic
Tromso winter trip

It is my longtime wish to see aurora borealis and now the time to see it finally came. I will travel with my husband and we are very excited. I found a good deal with Norwegian from Milano and we want to stay at Ami Hotel. Looks nice from the reviews and the price is great compared to others . But I have a few questions before I book our flights and hotel.

We are thinking of going from 24.2. to 1.3. (flights are Thursdays up and Tuesdays back). Is this a good time to see the lights or would it be better to come earlier/later?

We are very independent and like to do things our way, but I think we will join at least one of the tours with Guide Gunnar (he seems great by your recommendations) and maybe something with dogs (I love dogs). So my question is - do we need to rent a car in Tromso to travel around and see things or would we be ok with public transportation? For example if we want to go out of the city, to a dark place to look for the lights. What do you think? Thank you

Oslo, Norway
Destination Expert
for Oslo, Naxos, Norway
Level Contributor
22,193 posts
43 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Tromso winter trip

Hi Erykahh,

These questions have been asked again and again in the forum. If you use the search option on the top left of the page you will find questions and replies for the identical topics, as well as reviews in the "Post your review" here sticker.

Oslo
Level Contributor
14,840 posts
92 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Tromso winter trip

Late Febr-Early march is a good time. Daylight is back, while there is still winter (hope for some clear nights).

Arctic Norway/London
Level Contributor
35 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Tromso winter trip

Hi,

This time is the best time of the year to go for northern lights definitely.

And hiring a car is definitely a really good idea as you will be able to explore on your own, stop where you want and not join the crowds.

I would recommend driving to Lyngen - which is an absolutely stunning place. There is also a centre there offering dog sledding, snowmobiling etc. It is about 1.40hrs drive, including a short ferry ride.

http://www.lyngsfjord.com/

Another nice drive to to is to go over to Kvaloya and drive south, past Hella and around to Sommaroya, which is a beautiful round-trip, where you can stop off and look at stone age paintings (at Hella), stop off for lunch at the Sommaroya hotel, and take a stroll on one of the white sand beaches out there. There is very little streetlight, so wrap up warm and bring some hot chocolate and enjoy the northern lights :)

If you want another tip a little out of the tourist trail - I would recommend hiring cross country skis from one of the sports shops in town. You can head to the free floodlit slopes that run along the top of the island and have a go - it is guaranteed fun and a nice way to see northern lights too! It is open day and night - and is safe, even in late evenings (I often go there quite late in the evenings on my own and it is so nice and quiet)

Good Luck!

Arctic Norway/London
Level Contributor
35 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Tromso winter trip

Just remember that if you are not used to driving on ice - it takes some practice, and make sure you drive carefully! :)

Oslo
Level Contributor
1,740 posts
147 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Tromso winter trip

If you rent a car, insist on getting one with studded tyres. Rental cars are normally fitted with winter tyres without studs. These give sufficient grip on snow and ice for drivers that are used to winter conditions. But for anybody without that training, studs are invaluable.

Most rental car firms have cars with studded tyres, but you must then order by e-mail or telephone, as "studs" are not an option you can choose in their web booking systems.

Tromso, Norway
Level Contributor
5,621 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Tromso winter trip

You are planning in 2 travel days and 4 days in Tromsø, and from your wishes,

I can tell you that you don`t need a car for your stay. Because all of the activity companies provides pickup from the city centre. And, on Monday or Friday you can go on the Bus/Ferry/Coastal Steamer tour...

And before you book accommodation, please check the overnight stay at http://www.lyngsfjord.com

An combination of Dogsledding under the stars, sauna, dinner, overnight in the Sami tent and a new activity the day after (snow mobile or reindeer sledge), before you go back to Tromsø...

Maidstone, United...
Level Contributor
1,336 posts
54 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Tromso winter trip

Hi Guide Gunnar

What is the current price for the Bus/Ferry/Coastal Steamer tour?

Thank you.

Postojna, Slovenia
Level Contributor
106 posts
105 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Tromso winter trip

Thanks a lot for all your suggestions. After more research, I`m sure I`ll have many more questions... :) Thanx!

Leigh, England
4 posts
1 review
Save Reply
9. Re: Tromso winter trip

I was hoping to go on the bus/ferry/coastal steamer trip, but I got the impression from different posts that it wasn't possible at weekends - including Friday, which is the day we wanted to go. Can anyone clarify?

North Coast, N...
Destination Expert
for Northern Ireland
Level Contributor
5,388 posts
93 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Tromso winter trip

For perfectune and iken

I had hoped to have more information but I contacted cominor who run the coastal steamer. I mentioned that I will be in Tromso in February and asked for clarification re days. In February they are operating it every day except Saturday but I am not sure if that varies on other months. and you buy the tickets in their office which is in the same building as the tourist information centre. You can contact them directly on post@cominor.no

Current price is 550NOK for adults but 2011 prices aren't available yet.

Hope that helps!