We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

London -> Tromso Direct?

In cooperation with: Visit Norway
12 posts
Save Topic
London -> Tromso Direct?

Hi,

I read some information (quite outdated) that said the company Norwegian offered flights direct from Stansted to Tromso a few years back. After looking i can't see any, so was wondering if anyone had any experience or knew of any companies that would fly direct from London to Tromso?

Until i read this i was resigned to flying to Oslo and onwards but now i have seen the information i am interested in the possibility of getting the whole flight done in one go.

I will be going around mid-January 2013 which doesn't help as most flights don't seem to have been released yet for then.

Thanks for any help,

Martyn

Harstad, Norway
Destination Expert
for Bergen, Norway
Level Contributor
28,646 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: London -> Tromso Direct?

The direct flights from London were discontinued and flights are now via Oslo. I have not heard anything about reopening this route, but a lot can happen till 2013.

Salisbury, United...
Level Contributor
9,000 posts
140 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: London -> Tromso Direct?

Most 'legacy' airlines release flights about 50 weeks in advance but low cost airlines don't release flights this far in advance. I think I am correct in saying Norwegian is a low cost carrier. At present they are flying fom Gatwick to Oslo with connections onward.

The disadvantage with booking too far in advance is that, especially low cost airlines, flight times can change and routes can be cancelled. If you read the air travel forum this happens a lot. But who knows what will happen next year low cost airlines are always dropping and taking on new routes.

Oslo Gardemoen airport is an easy airport to navigate and it's pleasant to wait in.

Tromso, Norway
Level Contributor
5,651 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: London -> Tromso Direct?

It`s old news yes...

It started from Stanstead to Tromsø in December 2007, and it was just lovely to have this route... and one year before they close down they change the airport where they ended at Gatwick, in March 2011.

It`s a shame, but what can we do with the big guys..

Worcester, United...
Level Contributor
20 posts
51 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: London -> Tromso Direct?

Depending what you want to do from Tromso. In the Hurtigruten brochure for 2011/2012 it says it does direct flights from Gatwick to Tromso with the Arctic Highlights cruise etc. so it might be worth enquiring further to see if that is available and not via Oslo if you are interested. Also some dates were from Manchester.

Oslo, Norway
Level Contributor
7,332 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: London -> Tromso Direct?

That is interesting news! They are also offering direct chartered flights from Stanstead, Gatwick, Bristol, Manchester and Edinburgh to Bergen, but only on selected dates. Few details are given about the flights to Tromsø, but I'm led to think they are also chartered flights on selected dates.

Bishops Stortford...
Level Contributor
48 posts
142 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: London -> Tromso Direct?

We have booked direct with SAS for the 1/12/12 and paid £255 each via Oslo from Heathrow you should find flights available in the next 4 weeks and there are no hidden surcharges.

Tromso, Norway
Level Contributor
5,651 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: London -> Tromso Direct?

Yes, shame on Hurtigruten!!!

First they was one of the biggest sponsors for the directly flights, then they deceide to begin with own charter flights.

And therefore Norwegian had to stop with theirs lovely directly flight from Gatwick to Tromsø.

But, good for the people who join the cruise...

Buckinghamshire
Level Contributor
49 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: London -> Tromso Direct?

Easiest way to ge to Tromso, amass 1 Avios point per person travelling via your Tesco shopping and exchange your clubcard points, just one £2.50 voucher is enough as this gives you 600 Avios points. This then entitles you to a BA return flight to most of Europe for £55 return (including Oslo). Book a Norwegian Air internal flight from Oslo to Tromso.

Challenges - BA baggage allowance is 23KG and Norwegian Air is 20KG. 23KG is hardly enough though so you may have to pay for an extra bag £30 each way with BA for an additional 23KG.

We have booked flights this way with 2 travelling so have booked I extra bag to share between us so to speak on both BA and Norwegian AIr and also paid extra for the reserved seating on the Norwegian Air flights.

Total cost from Heathrow to Tromso via Oslo for 2 people=

BA flights £110

Extra baggage allowance with BA £60

Norwegian Flight with extra 20KG baggage plus reserved seat £210

So it worked out in reality to £190 per person

London
Level Contributor
4 posts
147 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: London -> Tromso Direct?

We have booked the Arctic Highlights tour and fly with Jet 2. But their website does not show the Tromso route. Does this mean that the flight will be especially chartered by the travel company & if so, would a meal be included, or would the whole flight be on the same terms as if one were flying independently? Has anyone experience of this flight?

Trondheim, Norway
Destination Expert
for Trondheim
Level Contributor
4,744 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: London -> Tromso Direct?

The flight is chartered for the purpose of flying Brits to/from Hurtigruten.

Don't know about meals on board, but this should be found among the terms and information your travel company has provided you with.