We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Tromso Ideas - Feb 2013

In cooperation with: Visit Norway
Devon
Level Contributor
231 posts
149 reviews
Save Topic
Tromso Ideas - Feb 2013

Hi All,

I have booked a return trip to Tromso for Feb 2013. This is on the back of staying there for two nights at the end of a Hurtigruten trip in February. Main interest is in chasing the Aurora and I have already booked my trips, however would like some ideas of what I could do during the day. I didn't manage to go up on the cable car, so I have this pencilled in. I'm not that confident in driving in snow so I wouldn't like to hire a car, although my partner may do. Not keen on dog sledding or snow mobiling. I love scenic places and have a big love of photography. Any ideas would be most welcome.

Many Thanks

Edited: 23 March 2012, 16:23
Salisbury, United...
Level Contributor
9,000 posts
140 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Tromso Ideas - Feb 2013

I have just returned from Tromso and we rented a car. All the rental cars appear to have winter studded tyres, it is not a problem driving on the roads. Although the roads are icy the tyres grip, we had no problems driving. We tried sharp breaking and didn't slip or slide. It is completely different to driving on our roads in icy, snowy weather. Just be sensible, a car gives you great freedom.

We headed out of Tromso each day to see the fantastic scenery. We went over to the coastal islands and inland to the mountains. Fantastic scenery and missed if just staying in Tromso. We also drove out to see the NL's. Again no problems with the roads. We had a fantastic show, made all the better by being on our own in a snowy, silent place. We did a recee during the day to spot places to stop and check out the roads. We took food, drinks, phone and silver blankets as a precaution. Never remotely needed.

Also took a tour on a mini bus, good but not as special as being on our own. We used this as an 'insurance policy' in case some serious chasing was needed and a long drive was needed to Finland. Turned out not to be needed as the lights were visible from the coastal area.

We were lucky to see the lights as there had been bad weather previously, do go to Tromso because you want to see the area and have other things planned not just to see the lights. That way you won't be disappointed.

Happy hunting.

Devon
Level Contributor
231 posts
149 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Tromso Ideas - Feb 2013

Many thanks for your very thorough response and for the confirmation that driving isn't as bad as I imagined. It sounds like you had a fabulous trip and made the most of everyday. The Aurora isn't the be all and end all of the trip as we were very lucky to see two fabulous displays whilst there this year. But I'm sure you will agree that you could never get enough of the fabulous phenomena of the NL. Will look in to car hire and the surrounding areas of Tromso and twist my partners arm to drive.

Cornwall England
Level Contributor
1,088 posts
174 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Tromso Ideas - Feb 2013

If you only have two nights best stick with a tour in my view. If you could stay a week you would have a fantastic choice. The cable car on a clear day is amazing and there are lots of local buses you can take to get out of town. C

England
Level Contributor
1,729 posts
55 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Tromso Ideas - Feb 2013

We were there recently and did a morning snoeshoe tour with Magne from Natur og fritid tromsonaturogfritid.no/activities.132009.en.…

Never done this before but once you got the hang of it it was a very enjoyable experience. We didnt go too far from Tromso centre but walking through the snow covered trees in total silence was just great. They have longer tours as well and you can hire any extra gear that you need.

Highly recommended.

Devon
Level Contributor
231 posts
149 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Tromso Ideas - Feb 2013

Thank You both for taking time to reply. Sorry Charlie I did't make it clear but we are there for four nights, however we get there lunchime on the first day and leave early evening on the last day, so should have plenty of time.

Dewsburyman I do like the idea of snowshoeing and will check out the link you have posted. It does sound hardwork but fun. Some great ideas here and any other welcome.

Cornwall England
Level Contributor
1,088 posts
174 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Tromso Ideas - Feb 2013

Hi again, if you have 4 nights then you might hire a car after all. We got one from Hertz with studded tyres, heated seat etc and boy did we need it. Very slippery but easy to drive once you get the hang of it. We drove to the border with Finland two nights as it was snowy and cloudy in Tromso. Had amazing NL both nights. Also rented a place near the fjord where the sky is dark and no light pollution. Had two great nights viewing NL there as well. The car also gave us the chance to go further on ferries etc. It was fantastic, loved every moment.

We hired all our gear from Tromso, they also do NL chasing trips. Lucky you I want to go again.

If you need any info pm me. Charlie

Devon
Level Contributor
231 posts
149 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Tromso Ideas - Feb 2013

Thanks Charlie it sounds like your trip was mission sucessful. Will give some serious thought to a car, as it will give us more flexibility. Once again many thanks.

Geraldton, Western...
Level Contributor
18 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: Tromso Ideas - Feb 2013

I hope you have a great time. We haven't made our bookings yet but are hoping to go in February 2014. At this point we have decided to take a return trip on the Hurtigruten from Bergen to Kirkines in hope to see the lights.

We live in Western Australia so it is going to be wonderful to see the NL, snow and just the wonderful scenery with all of the scattered little towns along the way.

Enjoy and I can't wait to hear about your journey.

Harstad, Norway
Destination Expert
for Bergen, Norway
Level Contributor
28,612 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Tromso Ideas - Feb 2013

Just bear in mind that half of the Hurtigruten voyage is below the arctic circle and in these areas the chances of seeing NL are very, very slim.

Geraldton, Western...
Level Contributor
18 posts
Save Reply
10. Re: Tromso Ideas - Feb 2013

Thanks for that, so would you suggest we start at where? Could you please suggest airlines as well, your help would be much appreciated.

Takk :)

Edited: 17 February 2013, 11:38