We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Tromso Feb 2012 - few bits of advise please

In cooperation with: Visit Norway
Which Tromso hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Peak District...
Level Contributor
102 posts
62 reviews
Save Topic
Tromso Feb 2012 - few bits of advise please

Hi - all booked with a 4 night Nordic Experience to Tromso from the UK but still have a few questions.

I can book excursions with them, Dog Sled & Northern Light Watching at Tromso Wilderness Centre - anyone know if this is a good trip to do. We will have our 11 yr old daughter with us so can't do overnight camping or skidoo trips.

We are renting arctic clothing when we get there from a place not far from the Hotel With, but what do people generally arrive in at the airport in. Were planning on getting taxi straight to hotel. We have Ski Type coats and Gortex walking boots/waterproof top layer trousers. Will this be enough for day to day walking about town or should we invest in Ski Boots and Salopettes/Ski trousers as well as renting thicker/warmer clothes for the night trips?

Thanks for your help

Oslo
Level Contributor
1,740 posts
148 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Tromso Feb 2012 - few bits of advise please

Coastal Tromsø is not that cold. I generally recommend the same you wear in the UK in winter, but with long underwear. Modern wool underwear doesn't itch and is fantastically comfortable in the winter.

The only other item I would recommend is mittens. They are much warmer than gloves.

In the inland, where the guides might take you, it can get minus 20-30 in the night. You've still be fine with the clothes provided.

Your 11 year old can both do the skidoo (she sits behind the driver) and the overnight camping.

Peak District...
Level Contributor
102 posts
62 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Tromso Feb 2012 - few bits of advise please

Thank you. I may look into skidoo after all.

Devon
Level Contributor
230 posts
146 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Tromso Feb 2012 - few bits of advise please

Hi MD

I was in Tromso in Feb and managed with waterproof trousers over jeans and a pair of ski trousers for a five night stay. Wore the ski trousers at night when we went chasing the NL. I just layered on top with a base layer of thermals. I have to say that I am always freezing however didn't feel the cold in Tromso. I expect it was the excitement! Took ski gloves and a warm hat and scarf.

Sorry I can't help with the trip however there is a bus that you can catch from the airport to Tromso centre. You will have a great time!!! I loved it so much I'm going back in Feb.

England
Level Contributor
1,713 posts
49 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Tromso Feb 2012 - few bits of advise please

I was there last Feb and as mentioned the temperatures are very similar to UK so sounds like you will be fine with what you have.Taxis are just out front of airport so just button up and you will be fine. Enjoy your stay at the 'With' and try for a room 3rd floor or above as you get a better view of harbour.

Take clip on spikes for your walking shoes as it can be icy around town.

Re Wilderness centre Villmarkssenter this can be a very busy place especially if the Hurtigruten have a trip going. You may want to check out another operator - Lyngsfjord are highly rated

http://www.lyngsfjord.com/ though for a full list visit tourist office site http://www.visittromso.no/en/

Devon
Level Contributor
230 posts
146 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Tromso Feb 2012 - few bits of advise please

Ooops just read what I wrote last night. You didn't ask how to get the hotel, just what clothing to arrive in! Sorry was on my phone and misread. I had jeans and ski jacket with snowboots (bargain £16.99 from Lidl) Anyway if you don't fancy a taxi there is always the shuttle :-)

Peak District...
Level Contributor
102 posts
62 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Tromso Feb 2012 - few bits of advise please

Fantastic advise - thanks! Lyngsfjorf look like they do some good trips so I'll compare with the one the tour operator Nordic Experience were offering.

Good advise about the clothing as we are new to snow holidays!

thanks again

7. Re: Tromso Feb 2012 - few bits of advise please

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 02 October 2013, 10:17