We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Exchange money at airport

In cooperation with: Visit Norway
Which Tromso hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Peterborough...
Level Contributor
213 posts
137 reviews
Save Topic
Exchange money at airport

I have been let down by Thomas Cook as I ordered Krone which they didn't get in for me and have left it too late to get from Gatwick tomorrow morning. Is it easy to find an ATM upon arrival at Tromso airport tomorrow afternoon as I am then going straight onto Hurtigruten. Does anyone know roughly what exchange rate is offered to sterling. Thx

Whaley Bridge...
Level Contributor
115 posts
204 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Exchange money at airport

Hi,

There are change facilities at the airport, though they probably aren't going to give the best rate, tbh! They're like little cash machines - you put your card in and you can withdraw a number of currencies.

www.avinor.no/en/airport/tromso/services/Bank

Have you still got time to look at another supplier, like Travelex? Normally, if you pre-order online and collect in the UK airport you will get a much more attractive rate.

Hope that you get sorted!

Edited: 30 January 2013, 12:19
Peterborough...
Level Contributor
213 posts
137 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Exchange money at airport

Thanks but I had already looked at the 2 FEX and both require 24 hours notice however I will ask if they happen to have some in stock

Oslo
Destination Expert
for Norway, Oslo
Level Contributor
12,022 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Exchange money at airport

Don't see why you expect the ATM's to give you a bad rate.Taking out Norwegian currency in an ATM in Norway would logically be the easiest and cheapest solution as requiring minimum manual handling.

My own experience with a Norwegian Visa card was that it cost about 3% to take out Euro in a Norwegian ATM machine, about 2% in an ATM in a Euroland and about 5% buying Euros for cash from Exchange office in Norway (compared to middle exchange rate). i.e. cheapest to take out currency from ATM in currency country.

The cheapest is probably to pay for as much as you can directly with card rather than cash.

Of course it depends on your card issuer and the rates they apply. There are also small fixed charges for cash withdrawal that make it more expensive if you take out small amounts.

Norway is getting to be a cashless society. It is not unusual here to pay for a coffee with a card and I expect you will be able to pay for everything on Hurtigruten with a card anyway.

Stavanger, Norway
Destination Expert
for Western Norway, Stavanger
Level Contributor
6,930 posts
104 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Exchange money at airport

As far as I understand UK debit cards including VISA are different to similar Norwegian cards. I follow the New York City forum on a regular basis and M4RKM is the guru on this over there: tripadvisor.com/…46087503

Trondheim, Norway
Destination Expert
for Trondheim
Level Contributor
4,455 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Exchange money at airport

There are cash points all over the place in Norway. More or less every shop will also accept them. As far as I can remember there's cash point just beside the exit doors at Tromso Airport.

To check the exchange rates with Visa I always use this page: visaeurope.com/en/…exchange_rates.aspx

Oslo
Destination Expert
for Norway, Oslo
Level Contributor
12,022 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Exchange money at airport

Thanks Pippi2 for an interesting lead. Visa seems to work pretty much the same in UK as Norway and confirms that using credit card for purchases costs around 2 - 3%, and effectively a bit more for cash from ATM as there are fees to add on. M4RKM's rate for exchanging cash is based on a better exchange rate on another date. I suspect that buying NOK cash in UK and probably Norway is still the most expensive. Whenever I have checked out rates at exchange bureaux there is usually a 10% difference between buy and sell, which means they are charging about 5% each way.

There are many sources of exchange rates, but for Norway the most reliable would be: norges-bank.no/en/…

Oslo
Level Contributor
1,740 posts
147 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Exchange money at airport

Use as little cash as possible. Don't withdraw cash from ATMs. Pay the hotel, meals, the guides, transport etc. directly with your credit card.

Read British consumer magazine Which to find the best card to use in Norway:

http://turl.no/n4s

Salisbury, United...
Level Contributor
8,009 posts
136 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Exchange money at airport

If you are going on Hurtigruten you won't need to use money on board as you will have a cruise card and can charge everything to that, then pay at the end. So you should not need much cash.

Oslo
Level Contributor
1,740 posts
147 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Exchange money at airport

Another very important advice: They sometimes ask you if you want your card to be charged in your home currency. This is a trap: If you answer yes, the vendor is completely free to set the exchange rate. When in Norway, always demand to be charged in Norwegian kroners.

10. Re: Exchange money at airport

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 02 February 2014, 06:16