We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Tromso northern lights camera equipment

In cooperation with: Visit Norway
england
Level Contributor
6 posts
19 reviews
Save Topic
Tromso northern lights camera equipment

Hi i am going on northern lights with arctic fishing adventures with marcus this month, I have an SLR camera-but am told that need a specific wide angle lens with f/1.4 to take any decent photos, is this correct? Considering hiring one if required as doubt will use again.

Do the tour guides help set up your camera?

Also am going to buy a tripod just in case they run out will the travel ones do?

Thank you for ANY advice

Tromso, Norway
Level Contributor
5,564 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Tromso northern lights camera equipment

F:1.4 are a very good one, and expensive, so you will do it fine with f:2,8.

You have to think about how wide the lens are, I am using 14-24 mm, so 18 mm as ok.

And I think Marcus have tripod for all his guests..;)

Edited: 13 February 2013, 00:28
Devon
Level Contributor
231 posts
149 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Tromso northern lights camera equipment

As GG mentioned 2.8 will be good enough. Not sure what camera you have or lenses but I used a Tokina 11-16 f2.8 and Sigma 17-55 f2.8 for my shots. One thing I would say is buy the best tripod you can afford. Last year I broke two! It was so cold the plastic handle/ knob snapped off and the wind was also very strong and blew them over. This time my shutter release broke, managed to get by on timer though. We went out with Kjetil S and he was great at helping the group with their cameras and settings. I'm in Tromso at the minute and the lights were amazing last night. I hope you have a wonderful trip.

Edited: 13 February 2013, 07:36
Devon
Level Contributor
231 posts
149 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Tromso northern lights camera equipment

As GG mentioned 2.8 will be good enough. Not sure what camera you have or lenses but I used a Tokina 11-16 f2.8 and Sigma 17-55 f2.8 for my shots. One thing I would say is buy the best tripod you can afford. Last year I broke two! It was so cold the plastic handle/ knob snapped off and the wind was also very strong and blew them over. This time my shutter release broke, managed to get by on timer though. We went out with Kjetil S and he was great at helping the group with their cameras and settings. I'm in Tromso at the minute and the lights were amazing last night. I hope you have a wonderful trip.

Edited: 13 February 2013, 07:37
Devon
Level Contributor
231 posts
149 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Tromso northern lights camera equipment

As GG mentioned 2.8 will be good enough. Not sure what camera you have or lenses but I used a Tokina 11-16 f2.8 and Sigma 17-55 f2.8 for my shots. One thing I would say is buy the best tripod you can afford. Last year I broke two! It was so cold the plastic handle/ knob snapped off and the wind was also very strong and blew them over. This time my shutter release broke, managed to get by on timer though. I'm in Tromso at the minute and the lights were amazing last night. I hope you have a wonderful trip.

Peak District...
Level Contributor
102 posts
71 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Tromso northern lights camera equipment

Chanksie - where is you go last night to see the lights? Flying To Tromso on Friday so have fingers crossed that conditions will be clear.

Devon
Level Contributor
231 posts
149 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Tromso northern lights camera equipment

Sorry but no idea where we went. Whale Island was mentioned but not sure. It was approx 40kms from Tromso, out past the airport I think heading north. The night before we went to the Finnish border and didnt have much to see. Fingers crossed for your stay

england
Level Contributor
6 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Tromso northern lights camera equipment

Thanks guys thats great, have canon 1100 so have got the F 2.8 17-55mm so hopefully fingers crossed will be good enough then.

Sounds fab, cannot wait-hope there is activity next week!

8. Re: Tromso northern lights camera equipment

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 15 February 2014, 05:17