We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Self catering: prices

In cooperation with: Visit Norway
Which Tromso hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
singapore
Level Contributor
184 posts
81 reviews
Save Topic
Self catering: prices

Hi,

We will be staying in Lauklines for 9 nights and will definitely be doing quite a bit of self catering. Everyone keeps saying things are expensive.

Inorder to work our our budget, can anyone gives us an idea of how much we can expect to pay for these items:

A dozen eggs

A loaf of bread (3 adults)

A packet of spaghetti

A 150ml bottle of balsamic vinegar

A 300gm piece of raw salmon fillet

A 300 gm minced beef

A pack of sausages (6 or 12)

Having an idea of the prices will give us a better gauge of how to budget for our self catering.

When we pick up our prepacked dinners from Solberg Peterson, there is a Rimi supermarket where we can do our grocery shopping on the way from the airport to Lauklines.

We are not driving but have arranged for a pick up to the cabins. They will stop enroute at Rimi's on the way to Lauklines.

Can anyone let us know if there are decent selections if bread, ham, fruits and vegs in Rimi?

Harstad, Norway
Destination Expert
for Bergen, Norway
Level Contributor
23,927 posts
37 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Self catering: prices

The selection at Rimi depends a bit on the size of the actual Rimi in question, but if you compare with a decent size Tesco, the selection is limited. There will be bread, ham, cheese, mince, sausages etc to tie you over. Salmon will be frozen, probably in slices. Prices will on average be 50% higher than in the UK. Bring some bacon if you have room.

singapore
Level Contributor
184 posts
81 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Self catering: prices

I forgot to mention we are from Singapore so no idea about grocery prices in UK.

I think we aren't allowed to bring meats or dairy in.

A dozen eggs in our country cost around NOK30. A 500gm frozen salmon steak is around NOK 70.

It will help if we can gauge the price difference.

We would like to make our own salads but wonder if the greens at the supermart are fresh.

Harstad, Norway
Destination Expert
for Bergen, Norway
Level Contributor
23,927 posts
37 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Self catering: prices

Oh, sorry, my mistake, I did not notice your home country. Looong time since I was in Singapore, so I cannot really make a comparison. A loaf of bread is NOK 25-30, that is all I can help you with at the moment. Eggs are not expensive, meat is.

Rimi has a limited selection, it is a grocer rather than a supermarket. Greens at the supermarket/grocer are normally fresh and if they are not you can tell.... There are also readymade salads in packets. Lettuce is often limited to iceberg or chinese cabbage.

Are you sure you would want to stay in the middle of nowhere for 9 nights without a car ?

Edited: 17 October 2013, 13:19
singapore
Level Contributor
184 posts
81 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Self catering: prices

Thanks - klimaflyktning, guess we will just budget a little more than normal.

We are looking forward to real peace and quiet and since the cabins at Lauklines Kystferie are heated and comfortable enough, its no problem for us to be in the middle of nowhere.

Just enjoying the tranquility and fjords and of course hoping to catch the Northern Lights if the timing is right.

Tromso, Norway
Level Contributor
4,816 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Self catering: prices

You will find all you need at this Rimi, but I will say the meals from Solberg Pettersen are expensive. It's cheaper to make your own meals!

And a long the road from the airport you also have Spar, Rema and Eides.

Spar and Eides have fresh desk with all you need of meat and fish, and whale too..;)

Eides is more expensive, but if you like to eat great meals, you will find all you need there..;)

Enjoy Lauklines and Kattfjord!

Maybe the whales has arrived, and then you can see them passing from your terrace, only 25 meters away...

Edited: 17 October 2013, 22:42
singapore
Level Contributor
184 posts
81 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Self catering: prices

Thanks Gunnar.

You mentioned Eide has a better selection than Rimi at SolbergP in terms of fresh meat, fish When you mention they are more expensive, are you are talking about these meat items or everything in general like groceries like bread, biscuits, beverages, milk?

I do agree the pre packed meals at SolbergP are expensive. We thought we could have 5 nights of ready made dinners and 4 self cooked ones.

Any idea if Eides has ready made meals we can order to take away? I am not sure if their prepacked meals (if any) are as expensive as SolbergP. From what I see, their pizzas are equally expensive as SolbergP.

The reason we are shopping at Rimi is because its in the same building as SolbergP. If there is a cheaper alternative place that has PRE packed dinners, feel free to suggest.

singapore
Level Contributor
184 posts
81 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Self catering: prices

Thanks Gunnar.

Apologies for the repeated reply. Didn't realise it was sent twice.

You mentioned Eide has a better selection than Rimi at SolbergP in terms of fresh meat, fish When you mention they are more expensive, are you are talking about these meat items or everything in general like groceries like bread, biscuits, beverages, milk?

I do agree the pre packed meals at SolbergP are expensive. We thought we could have 5 nights of ready made dinners and 4 self cooked ones.

Any idea if Eides has ready made meals we can order to take away? I am not sure if their prepacked meals (if any) are as expensive as SolbergP. From what I see, their pizzas are equally expensive as SolbergP.

The reason we are shopping at Rimi is because its in the same building as SolbergP. If there is a cheaper alternative place that has PRE packed dinners, feel free to suggest.

Edited: 18 October 2013, 07:47
Tromso, Norway
Level Contributor
4,816 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Self catering: prices

I am sorry, but I am never checking prices when I buy groceries, since I just let my eyes decide what I shall eat. So, I don`t know the exact different, but milk, eg. have problably not much price different from store to store...

Harstad, Norway
Destination Expert
for Bergen, Norway
Level Contributor
23,927 posts
37 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Self catering: prices

Same here, I have no idea what groceries cost. I have heard a lot of good things about Eide Handel though. Rimi is a large chain and Eide is independent - independent shops and smaller chains tend to be a bit more expensive, but nothing that would break the bank for just 9 days. And quality costs too.

Outside cities, takeaway is really not that common except maybe for pizza. Eide has a catering department where you can order roasts and buffets.

You will find Norwegian style ready meals (Fjordland) in ordinary supermarkets - they are ok for emergencies (says my husband, I have never tried them).

singapore
Level Contributor
184 posts
81 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Self catering: prices

Eide does look interesting. If the transport from Lauklines Kystferies allows us to do a short stop at both Eide and Rimi, that would be great. Anyway, we will sort it out.

Thank you both for being ever so helpful to those who post their questions on the forum.