We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Tromso Jan 10-13th/14 advice needed

In cooperation with: Visit Norway
Which Tromso hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Vienna, Austria
Level Contributor
3 posts
4 reviews
Save Topic
Tromso Jan 10-13th/14 advice needed

Dear all,

I apologize for another thread on Tromso and NL and dog sledding but need some advice.

I am planning for a small getaway to Tromso and it will be pretty tight, arriving Jan 10 by 8pm and leaving Jan 13 at 8am and I would like to make the most of it! For this trip - wilderness, NL, breathtaking nature are my priority.

I was thinking: Jan 11- day trip dog sledding (hope Arctic adventure tours have smth), return in time to have dinner and go off to chase some NL with a guide.

Next day time -pending your recommendation and evening - do the NL chasing again.

questions:

- Best to stick with one company for NL chasing or try 2 different ones?

- Is there any chance to see NL at the night from the hotel provided there is a nice clear view? (planning to book Thon hotel polar)

-Any suggestions of what to do on Jan 12 around Tromso during the day on a budget? Cable car, must visit museums etc.

Many thanks! I apologize if there were some thread like this, pls feel free to direct me there.

Lidia

Harstad, Norway
Destination Expert
for Bergen, Norway
Level Contributor
24,515 posts
37 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Tromso Jan 10-13th/14 advice needed

I think the NL tours start off at around 8pm - really hard to fit in a dinner as well. Sometimes NL tours do not return until the early hours of the morning and most of us do need our beauty sleep. I do understand that you would like to do as much as possibe within your time frame, but not always that practical. Ohterwise, at this late stage you will need to go with whatever is available as the most renowned guides may be sold out already.

Harstad, Norway
Destination Expert
for Bergen, Norway
Level Contributor
24,515 posts
37 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Tromso Jan 10-13th/14 advice needed

If the conditions are right, you can observe the NL from almost anywhere. With only a few days in the area, being mobile increases your chances quite a lot.

Vienna, Austria
Level Contributor
3 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Tromso Jan 10-13th/14 advice needed

Thank you for a fast reply! I just started planning today, so it was a spontaneous decision to come:). I checked GuideGunnor and he has availability both nights (according to the website) also planning to check arctic explorer, so questions still remains - best stick with one guide or try two different ones?

I agree it might be too much, so maybe have a lazy sleep in and then have a few hours in town before hitting the chase again? Any ideas on what to see within walking distance from Thon hotel Polar?

many thanks!

4. Re: Tromso Jan 10-13th/14 advice needed

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 02 December 2014, 06:17