We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

What's the fastest & cost effective way to reach Tromso?

In cooperation with: Visit Norway
Which Tromso hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Moscow, Russia
3 posts
1 review
Save Topic
What's the fastest & cost effective way to reach Tromso?

Hi, my husband and I will be travelling to Oslo on Dec 24 and would like to go to Tromso to watch the Northern lights and do whatever is fun there. I have looked many options including the Hurtigruten which obviously is rather expensive for late reservations. Trains and buses all seem a bit confusing. Normally we hire a car on our vacation trips, but everyone seems to advising against that during winter traveling and unpredictable weather in Norway.

I would appreciate any advice and would simply be forever grateful if anyone could share a detailed (proven) travel route from Oslo to Tromso!

Oslo, Norway
Destination Expert
for Oslo, Naxos, Norway
Level Contributor
20,676 posts
45 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: What's the fastest & cost effective way to reach Tromso?

I anticipate you will be flying in to Oslo. There are no flights available between Oslo and Tromsø on the main Christmas days (24th, which is the big celebration in Norway on Christmas Eve, and Christmas Day on the 25th):

Norwegian

http://tinyurl.com/pt5xbug

SAS

http://tinyurl.com/nnnap66

Edited: 10 December 2013, 10:54
Trondheim, Norway
Destination Expert
for Trondheim
Level Contributor
4,297 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: What's the fastest & cost effective way to reach Tromso?

Travelling from Oslo to Tromso by any other means than flying is extremely time consuming.

Trains don't run further north than Bodo. So to get to Tromso with ground transportation would train from Oslo to Bodo (via Trondheim) - 17-19 hours. And then bus to Tromso (via Narvik) - 12.5 hours. In other words 1.5 days constant travelling.

Driving is ca 1650 km, with an average speed of 70km/h (=no stops or breaks) the drive will take 24 hours. It would be just as easy to just drive from Moscow, as that drive is just 500km longer.

As greek-traveller says flights on Christmas eve and Christmas day are non-existant as Norway more or less shuts down during these days. There aren't any trains or buses either.

So either jo wait until the 26th and fly up or rent a car and start driving. If you're used to driving on snow and ice it's not a big problem driving, and if you drive during these days you'll be more or less alone on the roads.

Moscow, Russia
3 posts
1 review
Save Reply
3. Re: What's the fastest & cost effective way to reach Tromso?

Oh wow, it's more difficult than I had anticipated. Thank you for recommendations. I really appreciate it!!

4. Re: What's the fastest & cost effective way to reach Tromso?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 13 December 2014, 05:17