We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Visiting Tromso in mid-January to chase the Northen Lights

In cooperation with: Visit Norway
Athens, Greece
11 posts
Save Topic
Visiting Tromso in mid-January to chase the Northen Lights

Hi, I am visiting Tromso on January 12 and will be staying till the January 16th.

The main purpose of the trip is to see the Northen Lights.

I have read many posts in the forum, checked the websites of a couple of tour organizers that offer NL safaries.

I need advice on whether it is a good idea to book some tours now instead of waiting to get there.

I am thinking that it will be safer to wait for a more trusted weather prediction as well as solar activity, before booking. What happens if I book in advance and when I get there it turns out that the next day or the day after is actually a better choice?

On the other hand I see that taking a tour offers a somewhat better chance on seeing the Northen Lights, but seats in the tours are limited. Hopefully the fact that I am travelling alone will help.

Many thanks

Harstad, Norway
Destination Expert
for Bergen, Norway
Level Contributor
27,986 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Visiting Tromso in mid-January to chase the Northen Lights

If you book a tour you will have to pay in advance and it is non-refundable. Many guides will also be booked up before you even arrive. Some tours offer clothing included - are you equipped for a tour that does not offer clothing ? There is a 50 seater bus that goes out every night, so you can also decide on the spot.

Athens, Greece
11 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Visiting Tromso in mid-January to chase the Northen Lights

Well it depends on what clothing we are talking about.

Based on the suggested clothing in this guide (page 16) I think I am properly geared up.

visittromso.no/Global/…20SIDER.pdf

I bought clothing for extra cold environment last year before going to Kittila - Finland. It was very warm and comfortable even in temperatures of -24 Celcius.

Do you have a link for the tour that has the 50 seater bus?

Stavanger, Norway
Destination Expert
for Western Norway, Stavanger
Level Contributor
7,150 posts
105 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Visiting Tromso in mid-January to chase the Northen Lights

The different tour providers are listed here: visittromso.no/en/Activities/Northernlights/…

Harstad, Norway
Destination Expert
for Bergen, Norway
Level Contributor
27,986 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Visiting Tromso in mid-January to chase the Northen Lights

It must be this one

visittromso.no/en/Activities/Northernlights/…

5. Re: Visiting Tromso in mid-January to chase the Northen Lights

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 31 December 2014, 06:19