We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Parking in the Tunnel

In cooperation with: Visit Norway
Market Bosworth...
Level Contributor
1,740 posts
225 reviews
Save Topic
Parking in the Tunnel

I have seen a couple of references to parking in the tunnel on here including a link to a YouTube video which seemed to indicate that it is in town, a big underground car park not a road tunnel under something which is what I had thought.

I am struggling to find an address for it though or it marked on a map. We are staying at the Clarion Collection Hotel With is it far from there?

In Tromso in early Feb and really looking forward to it!

Salisbury, United...
Level Contributor
8,405 posts
136 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Parking in the Tunnel

We stayed in the Clarion With 2 years ago and we were able to park across the road at the Bryggen hotel. You had to go into the Bryggen reception for a permit, can't remember if you have to pay.

The tunnels are also part of the road system and there's a roundabout underground. One of the entrances we used just looked as if you were going into someone's garage! It's most interesting.

Leicester, United...
Level Contributor
1,239 posts
95 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Parking in the Tunnel

Hi Emma,

I'll try to help you from a tourist's perspective and I'm sure locals would be able to give you a better idea. My situation was slightly different as I was driving into Tromso from Lauklines using 862 following the signs for SENTRUM. Looks like this, if the link works. The dotted surrounding lines represent tunnels:

geolocation.ws/v/…en

Once in the tunnel there are several round abouts and I got lots of clear signs for parking to various places. I went for the Sentrum all the time and you get clear signs towards the car park off the main road. I always used to park in the sentrum and walk out through the exit next to Biblioteque ( the big modern glass library building) which takes you straight into Storgata and your hotel would be 5 minutes walk from there.

I used to put Tromso Sentrum in my Tomtom and that would always take me through the 862 tunnel. Exiting was a bit more difficult and I took couple of wrong turns first time but not too difficult.

From Clarion hotel walk towards Storgata, cross the road, climb up the steps of Bibliotek and the entry to the tunnel is just behind the library. Easy peasy. You can't miss the library.

Brings back such sweet memories and good luck to you.

Edit : i think smudge is referring to this entrance:

http://www.kiwitz.com/tromso-tunnel

Edited: 06 January 2014, 23:30
Trondheim, Norway
Destination Expert
for Trondheim
Level Contributor
4,627 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Parking in the Tunnel

inside the mountain separating downtown Tromso and the airport there is both underground carpark and a road system (both are connected). There are several entry and exit points - two from downtown and two from the road tunnels.

I usually stayed in one of the Thon hotels in Tromso and one of the entry points is more or less right next door. That entry point is located between Gronnegata 60 and 62.

Market Bosworth...
Level Contributor
1,740 posts
225 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Parking in the Tunnel

Hi all thank you for such helpful replies!

We are driving from the airport to the hotel on one day then the next we are going snowmobiling with Tour in Lyngenalps and driving out to them as the car was part of the package which has worked out really well :-) then dropping it off at Avis later that day. So not too much driving round but do need to get the right Sat Nav maps downloaded so thanks for reminding me to add that to my 'to do' list.

WhiskyTraveller it sounds like we will be driving through it on our way to the hotel, going to check in and drop off bags first before parking the car, what exit should we look for once we are in there to head towards the hotel as the Sat Nav will be no help at all at that point!

Supratik those directions back to the car park from our hotel are great thanks!

Thanks smudge99 I think we will use the underground car park given the weather but at least we have a back up plan now.

Salisbury, United...
Level Contributor
8,405 posts
136 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Parking in the Tunnel

Supratik, yes that's the one we went straight past it first time.

6. Re: Parking in the Tunnel

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 09 January 2015, 06:22