We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Travel insurance to include dog sledding?

In cooperation with: Visit Norway
Swansea
Level Contributor
39 posts
7 reviews
Save Topic
Travel insurance to include dog sledding?

Can anyone recommend travel insurance to include dog sledding? I am struggling to find cover :(

Thank you

Exeter, United...
Level Contributor
226 posts
1 review
Save Reply
1. Re: Travel insurance to include dog sledding?

I have been looking at Alpha travel insurance ahead of a cross country ski trip and if you do a wintersports policy quote husky dog sledding is specifically mentioned in "Activity Pack 3". Have never used them so cannot comment! However their premiums are pretty much in line with all the other companies I've used in the past; they just seem to give more information about what is included.

Gloucester
Level Contributor
39 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Travel insurance to include dog sledding?

Hmmm interesting.

id suggest you contact shcgb (siberian husky club of gb. There is a fb group you can post and ask? Lots of sled dog owners go abroad to race (with their own dogs & borrow dogs from kennels/businesses)

i suspect they woukd go wuthout insurance but they may know of a company? Im insured to run my own in the uk but health care for an activity is different

When dogs are trained to race then its potentially a dangerous sport, i know lots of people whose had bad injuries..but sled dog ride dogs will be trained to be calm. Ive ran my dogs many times abd yet to get hurt...other than a few bruises.

Edited: 24 January 2014, 21:19
Leicester, United...
Level Contributor
1,239 posts
87 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Travel insurance to include dog sledding?

My travel insurance with Marks and Spencer clearly covers "Husky dog sledding which is organised,non-competitive with local driver" for the additional Winter Sports premium whcih also includes ski and other winter sports activities. M&S travel insurance is underwritten by AXA. I could have gone with AXA but M&S were giving better cash-back.

In my opinion that should suffice if you are going with one of the reputable local operators like Arctic adbventure etc. Falls are common, serious injury very very rare.

Gloucester
Level Contributor
39 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Travel insurance to include dog sledding?

Supratik - with that specific wording you wouldnt be covered as the term 'local driver' means that someone else is on the sled and your just a passenger. That wouldnt be the case.

However the chances of an incident are small as the dogs will be trained to be calm.

Swansea
Level Contributor
39 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Travel insurance to include dog sledding?

Thank you all for your replies. We are going to Villmarksenter so will be travelling as passengers on the sled. We found that insure&go include dog sledding on their policy as standard, so in the end went with those.

Market Bosworth...
Level Contributor
1,737 posts
225 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Travel insurance to include dog sledding?

In case any one else is looking we went with Aviva and they also covered snow mobiles which not all others did.

Manchester, United...
Level Contributor
97 posts
34 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Travel insurance to include dog sledding?

I don't have any advice, specificallt re. insurance. However, I will say, it is worth making sure you are covered.

I am just back from a trip. I went dog-sledding with a reputable company and had aserious accident, I actually thought I had broken my arm. The conditions were very bad and it appears my experience was not typical. However, none of us can predict the conditions, or what the dogs will do, or how they'll behave.

The company have been excellent with thier aftercare and I will not name them for fear of negative impact. I recommend the activity but get cover.

Oslo
Destination Expert
for Norway, Oslo
Level Contributor
12,689 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Travel insurance to include dog sledding?

Note that you have medical cover as Norway is part of the EEA. You should get a free European Health Insurance Card from NHS nhs.uk/NHSEngland/…about-the-ehic.aspx

Leicester, United...
Level Contributor
1,239 posts
87 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Travel insurance to include dog sledding?

Mrs M,

I'm terribly sorry to hear about your accident. It is really realy nice of you to make a good comment on the company despite the misfortune. I take back my word that accidents are rare. And I hope this did not dampen your experience in nay way.

It shows how important it is to have right cover. Better safe than sorry. I agree with Dyoll that the EHIC card should give you emergency medical cover. Wishing you a speedy recovery.

Edited: 03 February 2014, 19:46
Leigh-on Sea...
Level Contributor
3,783 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Travel insurance to include dog sledding?

my daughter is going to Tromso next week and her 4 day trip includes dog sledding and snowmobiles. Her insurance cover with the Nationwide Building Society does not cover these activities , the additional cover is £40 which will cover her and her husband for a year .

I checked on the MoneySupermarket website this morning , a weeks cover started at £20 for 2 persons with insurance companies I had never heard of but went up to £40 for insurance companies that are well known.

Therefore the Nationwide deal seems to be a good one for her.

The E111 card will cover for emergency medical care , but not repatriation or long term injuries as a result of an accident .