We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Dog sledding in September?

In cooperation with: Visit Norway
Which Tromso hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Ghent, Belgium
3 posts
Save Topic
Dog sledding in September?

Hi there, we are looking for a dog sled tour in September.

We are planning a holiday to go northern light hunting and we would love to take a dog sled tour too. However, the best time to see the northern light is late September, but I haven't found any dog sled companies that start before November/December. Does anybody know of any? Thank you.

Harstad, Norway
Destination Expert
for Bergen, Norway
Level Contributor
24,584 posts
37 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Dog sledding in September?

There is not any snow in September, hence no dog-sledding.

Harstad, Norway
Destination Expert
for Bergen, Norway
Level Contributor
24,584 posts
37 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Dog sledding in September?

Some photos from late September 2012

http://tinyurl.com/m25wus9

England
Level Contributor
1,713 posts
49 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Dog sledding in September?

You could try this visitnorway.com/uk/…

and have a good chance of seeing the lights as well.

Tromso, Norway
Level Contributor
4,853 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Dog sledding in September?

You will not see Aurora on Spitsbergen in September since they have longer daylight period than Northern Norway.

For Dogsledding on wheel, please check http://www.lyngsfjord.com who has pickup in Tromsø.

In Northern Norway you can see Aurora from mid-August, but some of the guides begins not the tours before begin of September...

Harstad, Norway
Destination Expert
for Bergen, Norway
Level Contributor
24,584 posts
37 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Dog sledding in September?

This time I need to disagree GG - I did see the aurora in Longyearbyen last September (on the 19th to be precise). It was around midnight. But it is not an ideal place as Longyearbyen is surrounded by mountains towards the direction the aurora occur and I could only see the aurora partly, slicking above the peaks. And you need a late display, so midnight was ideal. By the time I had collected my camera and tripod from the flat, they had gone, so no proof.....

Edited: 05 May 2014, 08:22
Tromso, Norway
Level Contributor
4,853 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Dog sledding in September?

Thanks for correct me, Klima, but I thouhgt they didn`t have darkness before later.

When we see Aurora in mid-August you need also to know what you are looking for, because the sky is blue..;)

In Tromsø I have seen Auroras dance at August 14th, and April 21st...

Harstad, Norway
Destination Expert
for Bergen, Norway
Level Contributor
24,584 posts
37 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Dog sledding in September?

No, the sky was not blue - it was dark around midnight with some afterglow from the sun. The NL-belt is normally situated south of the islands, so strangely enough the NL show to the south and not in direct conflict with the sunset.

England
Level Contributor
1,713 posts
49 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Dog sledding in September?

Must be misreading charts for sunsets timezoneguide.com/sunrise-sunset-month-Svalb…

Oslo
Destination Expert
for Norway, Oslo
Level Contributor
11,150 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Dog sledding in September?

Not sure what you are getting at Dewsburyman. Longyearbyen is latitude 78degN - at that time of year near the autumn equinox (hence sunrise/sunset around 06:00 & 18:00) the sun will only be 12deg above the horizon at midday and 12deg below the horizon at midnight, so there will be some sort of twilight all night.

England
Level Contributor
1,713 posts
49 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Dog sledding in September?

You are correct of course dyoll as this will the long twilight period, though I found the photo (after para 5) on this article most enlightening.

http://jdombstravels.com/northern-lights/

Edited: 07 May 2014, 15:33