We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

2 day trip/lights

In cooperation with: Visit Norway
Which Tromso hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Cheshire
Level Contributor
13 posts
4 reviews
Save Topic
2 day trip/lights

Im going to Tromso for 2 days on 15-17 October.

Will I see the Northern Lights? Whats the best way to see them? What else would you suggest for a 2 day stay?

Thanks

u k
Level Contributor
16 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: 2 day trip/lights

sorry did you se them? they are not guarenteed to show but i did read they can tell 3 days in advance. I am thinking of going in Feb or March tell me how u got on.

Hocko

Cheshire
Level Contributor
13 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: 2 day trip/lights

Hi Hocko!

Well I didnt see the lights. The activity was very high and they were actually happening however, it was potentially the wettest 2 days in history, cloud level was around 500ft and at the end of day 2 it started snowing like its life depended on it!! So while the activity was fabulous, meteorology was against us!

If you have a look at www.northernlights.no it gives you a break down of activity levels based on magnetic field and sloar activity within a couple of days but its really not so helpful when the weather comes in unexpectedly. My guess is that mid winter, (probably Dec-Jan) while Tromso would be bitterly cold would be the best bet for clearer skies but the locals said the activity tends to drop off in Feb with few sightings through March.

Otherwise Tromso is a really lovely place, very relaxed and I can highly recommend a resteraunt by the harbour called Steakers - the Ribs are the best in world!!!

Enjoy!

3. Re: 2 day trip/lights

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 24 August 2009, 11:19