We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Is Oslo lively in July?

In cooperation with: Visit Norway
13 posts
Is Oslo lively in July?

I'm looking for a place to spend July 2018 for reading, researching and writing.

My current residence in Korea is really hot and humid in July, and an escape from the heat and humidity I believe will actually add to the productivity of my work.

My initial pick was Sapporo, Japan, due to its proximity and the cooler climate in the summer.

But a close friend of mine suggested Oslo!

To be honest, Oslo never crossed my mind.

Is Oslo lively -- as opposed to everyone leaving town for vacation to some other place -- during July?

I don't want to end up in a city that is nice but too quiet during the summer.

Harstad, Norway
Destination Expert
for Bergen, Norway
Level Contributor
33,000 posts
41 reviews
1. Re: Is Oslo lively in July?

Some locals will be on holiday, but plenty of tourists. Not dead at all !

Oslo
Level Contributor
17,259 posts
94 reviews
2. Re: Is Oslo lively in July?

And climate is fine

https:/…statistikk.html

And 23 hour daylight...

Tromso, Norway
Level Contributor
6,478 posts
18 reviews
3. Re: Is Oslo lively in July?

For "reading, researching and writing" I should choose the harmonic and beautiful city of Bergen instead..;)

Please get a picture of it on http://www.visitbergen.com

Nittedal...
Level Contributor
268 posts
8 reviews
4. Re: Is Oslo lively in July?

if you are in Korea, you have not thought of Irkutsk???

anyway if you are set for Norway, welcome.

Oslo is relatively quiet all the year, because it's a relatively small city, comparable to baltic capitals (Tallinn, Vilnius, Riga) not big like Berlin, Paris, also smaller and quieter than Køpenhavn and Stockholm. I can't compare with Far-East asian cities as I don't know.

In Norway, July will not be hot in the meaning that "hot" has in southern parts of the world. Humidity, it depends; a proverb about weather:

Det finnes ikke dårlig vær, bare dårlige klær = There's no bad weather, only bad clothes

the nickname of Bergen is regnby(en) = rain city (the)

But Oslo is more on the drier side (like one day rain, two days sun)

Accomodation, food and drink will be expensive. Norwegian food is good but not diverse and foreign-like food is most of the time bad look-alike

13 posts
5. Re: Is Oslo lively in July?

Irkutsk? I've never heard of it. Any reason you suggest it? If it was meant to be a joke, sorry I didn't get it. Within Russia, I've always wanted to go to St. Petersburg.

I've done some research on Bergen, and it seems like another wonderful destination, except for the rain. But its proximity to the Fjord and other tour spots make it attractive.

Harstad, Norway
Destination Expert
for Bergen, Norway
Level Contributor
33,000 posts
41 reviews
6. Re: Is Oslo lively in July?

Going to Norway you will have to expect some rain wherever you go - it can rain in Oslo too, but it sometimes do rain a lot in Bergen, even in summer.

13 posts
7. Re: Is Oslo lively in July?

If Norway is that rainy during the summer, it could be a turn-off for me.

I'll have to do some more research.

Nittedal...
Level Contributor
268 posts
8 reviews
8. Re: Is Oslo lively in July?

> Irkutsk? I've never heard of it. Any reason you suggest it? If it was meant to be a joke, sorry I didn't get it.

no wanting to go off-topic it's just that you mentioned your current residence is Korea, right? So, I was surprised you didn't think of Irkutsk, not a joke: Irkutsk is relatively close, direct flights from Incheon. It's Lake Baïkal and the surroundings taïgas (unesco world heritage list, etc).

> If Norway is that rainy during the summer, it could be a turn-off for me.

well, define "rainy"... Bergen, coastal south-western Norway weather can be compared with Scotland, if it helps. Central valleys and Oslo have less rain. Could be rainy could be sunny and very warm, it's impredictable long time in advance.

Oslo
Level Contributor
17,259 posts
94 reviews
9. Re: Is Oslo lively in July?

Oslo is not particularly rainy.

https:/…statistikk.html

Norway has many climates and Bergen has about 10 times more rain than some inner valleys not far away. Norway has the driest and the wettest places in Europe.

Wales, United...
Destination Expert
for Bargain Travel, Cruises, Swansea, Cardiff, Carmarthenshire, Neath, Port Talbot
Level Contributor
72,940 posts
476 reviews
10. Re: Is Oslo lively in July?

I've been to Oslo during the summer and it was pleasantly warm. It was warmer and sunnier than the UK at the same time. It's a small city by the standards of European capitals, but a busy one. I was told by my Norwegian friend that the locals like being outdoors in the summer time because of the cold and dark winters, so there wa splenty going on.