We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Oslo in January

In cooperation with: Visit Norway
Ireland
Level Contributor
78 posts
6 reviews
Save Topic
Oslo in January

Hi, my partner and I were hoping to travel to Oslo for a short break (around 5-7 days), and were wondering when the best time to do this would be?

At the moment we hope to book a trip for January 2009, but our concern is the daylight hours (or lack of!), weather, and things to do at this time of year.

Would we be better leaving Norway for the summer and going somewhere hot in January?!

Trondheim
Level Contributor
197 posts
1 review
Save Reply
1. Re: Oslo in January

Plenty of things to do in winter time as well. And there is plenty of daylight, Oslo isn't that far north. In January it's around 7 hours between sunrise and sunset.

Weather can be cold, but a warm sweater and/or a coat will keep you warm. The temperature tends to be around 0 degrees centigrade.

What to do depends on your interests. This being winter, seasonal activites are the thing (cross country, down hill, skating, toboggan etc).

Oslo
Level Contributor
14,830 posts
92 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Oslo in January

Arve is right. Oslo can be nice in January, particularly with some snow and frost, then one escape into the clean white forest surrounding the city. Oslo is one of the best places to combine winter sport and big city life (it's about 10-15 minutes to the ski track).

Oslo is not a very cold city (last january was around or above freezing), but be prepared for tempartures down to minus 5 or lower (dg C).

Oslo
Level Contributor
251 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Oslo in January

... Yes, the forest will be nice, but if you don't like skiing and winter sport January will be a bad time to visit Oslo. Cold, often bad weather, not too much sun and downtown are just wet and cold...

Oslo, Norway
Level Contributor
128 posts
288 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Oslo in January

Unless you want to go skiing I would visit Oslo in the summer. Much more pleasant!

The Emerald Isle
Level Contributor
21 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Oslo in January

I've just booked a trip to Oslo for January too! Looking forward to seeing the snow and the city. I'm not a skier but will be visiting the slopes for the views.

Oslo, Norway
Destination Expert
for Oslo, Naxos, Norway
Level Contributor
22,187 posts
43 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Oslo in January

To find what is on while you are visiting you may look up this site:

http://www.visitoslo.com/en/

The Emerald Isle
Level Contributor
21 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Oslo in January

8. Re: Oslo in January

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 04 October 2009, 13:18