We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Snow in December?

In cooperation with: Visit Norway
Cornwall
3 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Snow in December?

Hei!

I am from the UK but lived in Oslo from 1983 to 1985. Now I am all grown up with my own children I want to take them to Oslo to experience a proper winter (after our awful British Summer this year).

I intend to visit from 20-23 Dec but I am concerned that, with global warming etc, the winter in Oslo will not be as snowy as I remember as a child.

Can anyone tell me if it snowed in December last year and if you are expecting a White Christmas this year? It would be a shame to come all the way to Oslo if there will be no snow!

Tusen Takk!

Finland
Destination Expert
for Helsinki, Finland
Level Contributor
5,138 posts
82 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Snow in December?

I was in Oslo in Jan and the snow there was next to non-existent. On Holmenkollen there was a decent amount of snow. I'd say that there is a high risk of not having snow that time of the year in Oslo at sea level.

For proper winter I'd wait till later in the winter or head for higher grounds.

Oslo
Level Contributor
14,045 posts
92 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Snow in December?

Good advice from Polarbearfin.

Last Dec there was 1-2 days of snow ( 5 cm) in central Oslo.However on the hills around the city there were snow cover for more than 25 days. Further inland there 25 days or more with a minimum of 25 cm snow.

30 year average for december: 14 days of snow cover in Oslo.

Conclusion: You have a 50 % chance :)

but if you are prepared to take a 15-30 min trip inland, there will probably (but not certainly) be snow.

Oslo, Norway
Destination Expert
for Oslo, Naxos, Norway
Level Contributor
21,615 posts
45 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Snow in December?

Apart from the general condition mentioned above, Oslo has a Winter Park on Tryvann above Holmenkollen, where they produce snow artificially and for the last years they have had skiing facilities avilavble as from Mid November:

www.tryvann.no/index.jsp…

Cornwall
3 posts
1 review
Save Reply
4. Re: Snow in December?

Thank you all for your replies! I used to live in Ris just a few trikk-stops down from Holmenkollen so I guess that maybe it was snowy there but not so much in the city centre? Although I only have a 50% chance of snow, I don't really want to go later in the year because I want the Christmas experience too!

And there is always Tryvann...

Hmmm! I have some thinking to do...

Thanks again

Oslo, Norway
Destination Expert
for Oslo, Naxos, Norway
Level Contributor
21,615 posts
45 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Snow in December?

For the feeling of Christmas - it may be of interest that as from last year Oslo have decided to stage an annual Christmas market at Rådhusplassen ("Lysbildevisning" means "View slideshow"):

http://tinyurl.com/3crawy

Oslo
Level Contributor
244 posts
1 review
Save Reply
6. Re: Snow in December?

If you want Norwegian Christmas atmosphere, I guess Norsk Folkemuseum at Bygdøy (Oslo), Bærums verk (just outside oslo) or Hadeland Glassverk (2 hrs from Oslo) would be nice.

And a new family attraction at Hunderfossen (2 hrs north of Oslo by train)/ Lillehammer called Vinterparken (Norwegian winter tradition with snow and Norwegian fairytales)(but it doesn't opens before Dec 29) - i think it's nice. Otherwise Lillehammer will probably have snow in December. The sledge hill just outside downtown is really cool.

Cornwall
3 posts
1 review
Save Reply
7. Re: Snow in December?

Thank you all again! But my plans have been scuppered, I cannot come to Oslo from 20-23 Dec after all. Now I am planning to come 2-6 Jan. Do you think that there will be snow then? I shall probably go to Tryvann and maybe the toboggan run on Holmenkollveien.

I will be excited to see the area where I lived as a child!

Gambrills, Maryland
Level Contributor
25 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Snow in December?

Wow! Very exciting! Looking forward to seeing this!

Oslo
Level Contributor
14,045 posts
92 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Snow in December?

Chances of snow early Jan is same as late Dec

10. Re: Snow in December?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 08 October 2009, 23:20