We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

skiing for first time with a family

In cooperation with: Visit Norway
Which Oslo hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Cambridge, UK
Level Contributor
75 posts
28 reviews
Save Topic
skiing for first time with a family

We are a family of four ( 2 adults and 2 children aged 9 and 11) who would like to try skiing.

There are cheap flights to Oslo which makes it appealing - but which airport - as there are two?

We are happy to hire a car, but don't want to drive for hours, as we thought 5 days for a first experience, would probably be long enough.

One of the adults won't be able to ski, due to war (rugby!!) wounds, so we would like there to be something to occupy him during the day...gym?? swim? bar....near to the skiing, so we could meet up for lunch.

We would like to go in February.

Any suggestions or help would be gratefully appreciated.

Thanks

Oslo
Level Contributor
218 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: skiing for first time with a family

There are actually three airport in Oslo; pick your favorite!

It doen't matter which airport you choose, if I were you I would pick the plane with the cheapest tickets. Regardless of what airport you end up in the end you still have to take a bus or train to get to Oslo city centre.

As I have mentioned before to on this site it is possoble to go skiing in Oslo in the Holmenkollen area. This is an area I like very much and I go there quite often myself. visitoslo.com/en/oslo-winter-park-tryvann-tr…

If you don't have your own skies you can rent them at this place.

The beauty of this place is that it is very close to the city centre, this area is actually a suburb/residence area as well so it easy connected by subway to the city centre. That means that you can actually stay downtown and take the subway up to Tryvann. That will also give you the possibility to explore the city if some you should need a break from skiing.

For the one with the war injury (rugby is almost like a war between two teams, or?) the city has a lot to offer, and it is also possible to make daytrips outside of Oslo as well.

Oslo
Level Contributor
12,836 posts
92 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: skiing for first time with a family

There is also a third airport at Rygge (near Moss).

You can go to Oslo itself (there are some moderate slopes as well as great tracks within the city), or you can go to nearby places like Kongsberg, Norefjell or Nesbyen (1-3 hours). A bit further are larger resorts like Trysil (pop with families), Hemsedal (pop with young people) and Geilo. Hafjell or Skeikampen near Lillehammer is closer to main airport at Gardermoen.

Oslo, Norway
Destination Expert
for Oslo, Naxos, Norway
Level Contributor
20,688 posts
45 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: skiing for first time with a family

What are the main interests for the adult who doesn't ski ?

Cambridge, UK
Level Contributor
75 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: skiing for first time with a family

Thank you for that reply.

I didn't realise there were 3 airports!!

I think we would prefer to go to a "ski resort" to stay and then spend a couple of nights in Oslo itself - a 2 centre vacation, I believe it's called!!

So first question, where to ski - not cross country, but alpine? Secondly, that would impact on the airport...Thirdly, how far would the transfer be? I presume we would need a car?

Once we have sorted the skiing bit, we will then look at the city stay.

Thanks for your help!

Cambridge, UK
Level Contributor
75 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: skiing for first time with a family

Thanks for your reply. I presumed there were only 2 airports as that is where Ryanair fly to -Rygee and Topp (excuse the spelling )

If we were to fly to either of these, are they so far off the skiing map, or could we drive / transfer to a resort from them?

Any recommendations?

Thanks

Cambridge, UK
Level Contributor
75 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: skiing for first time with a family

Sorry I am being so dull - I have now replied to each message individually...should have done it all in one go. Apologies.

The non skiier would like access to walking and gym facilities.

Oslo, Norway
Destination Expert
for Oslo, Naxos, Norway
Level Contributor
20,688 posts
45 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: skiing for first time with a family

Oslo has ski facilities you are looking for at Winterpark Tryvann (on top of Holmenkollen hill), and a skiing school with ski rental etc. There are several hotels in the area, but it is also just a 20-25 min ride on the metro from the city centre.

www.tryvann.no/index.jsp…

http://www.skiskole.com/page/English/47

Another option is going from Rygge to Oslo, then transfer to railway (appr. 4 hrs journey) to Lillehammer with several resort options (Lillerhammer staged the Winter Olympics in 1994).

http://www.lillehammer.com/index.php/en.html

Railway information:

http://www.nsb.no/home/

Rygge Express Bus:

rygge-ekspressen.no/EnglishInformation/tabid…

Oslo
Level Contributor
1 post
37 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: skiing for first time with a family

If you go skiing go to Gardermoen Airport as the 2 others are longer away from the ski resorts.

The best skiresorts this time of year is Beitostølen, Geilo and Trysil.

Trysil may be the best for you as you are probably not used to right hand driving and it is an easier driving - no mountains before you reach the resort. Also Hafjell is easy driving from Gardermoen and will very soon open for full.

Enjoy

Eldste

Oslo
Level Contributor
216 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: skiing for first time with a family

SOME SKI RESORTS OUTSIDE OSLO:

I guess the best ski area would be Trysil, Hafjell/Lillehammer, Geilo and Hemsedal, but if your children hasn't tried skiing before you probably don't need those big areas.

- TRYSIL (village)

www.skistar.com/trysil/english/index.app

trysil360.com/en-gb/…- Driving distance to airports: Gardermoen 3h, Rygge 4h20min, Torp 5h

- Bus (NOK 335 each way, children free) from Oslo 3h 45min (and Gardermoen) 5-7 times a day

- LILLEHAMMER (small city)

http://lillehammer.com/index.php/en.html

- Driving distance to airports: Gardermoen 2h Rygge 3h20min Torp 4h

- Alpine skiing at Hafjell (20 min north of Lillehammer) and Kvitfjell (1h north of Lillehammer)(Olympic Alpine Park 1994)

- Lillehammer could offer a lot of other winter activities (like a cool tobogganing ride just outside the city centre)

- Tran (many times a day) from all 3 airports

- NOREFJELL (no centre, just hotels)

www.norefjell.com/index.php?id=11&lang=en

- Driving distance to airports: Gardermoen 2h Rygge 2h20min Torp 2h15min

- GEILO (village)

http://www.geilo.no/en/

- Driving distance to airports Gardermoen 3h50min Rygge 4h15min Torp 3h50min

- Train from Oslo

- HEMSEDAL (village)

http://www.hemsedal.com/

Almost the same driving distance as Geilo

- KONGSBERG (city)

www.kongsberg-skisenter.no/sider/tekst.asp…

london
Level Contributor
212 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: skiing for first time with a family

Hi

is there any public transport between Rygge or Torp airports and Kongsberg or Norfejell?

Also, the resorts seem to be open till about 10 - is that correct, as in europe everything shuts about 5!

Thanks